Belfast market

P

Pistoia

Anybody familiar with the rental and property market in Belfast? I found estate agencies that market mid-terrace properties at 40-80k £ and I am planning a "discovery trip" to Northern Ireland.

I would appreciate if somebody could give me some insider info.

thanks

I live in Belfast, and I don't know if you realise but terraced houses which cost £40,000 will be in areas which are a "bit rough"; to put it mildly.

If you spend £80,000 then you'll be able to get a reasonable house in a decent "working class" area.

Thanks Patrick. Do you have any idea of rental yields that properties in the 60k-80k £ range could get? Am I too naive to think that the continuous peace process will boost local economy and thus change property prices in the long run?

I appreciate very much your input. Thx

To be honest I don't really know at what levels yields are currently at.

Below is the main property website for Northern Ireland which lists houses both for sale and for rent.
[broken link removed]

quote:
"Am I too naive to think that the continuous peace process will boost local economy and thus change property prices in the long run?"

Well in Belfast we now have tourist buses travelling around the city with real live tourists! In the past I would rarely have seen tourists here, but they're definitely here now. So things are definitely getting better.

I also see quite a few people from the Republic here, *many* more than there used to be.

As house prices in Belfast are slightly less than half what they are in Dublin, there's definitely a lot of potential in Belfast house prices. Especially if more property speculators from the Republic decide to invest here than in other areas of Europe.

It's certainly easier to look maintain an investment property here than one in eastern Europe!

I heard on the news about two weeks ago that property prices in Northern Ireland rose by between 10% to 20% over the last 12 months.

Hope this helps.

I was having a look at the site mentioned above, and check this out...
[broken link removed]
A house for £9,950 (sale agreed)

sectarian parts of belfast

I doubt the southern car reg would excape the notice of the drug-dealing sectarians that would be your neighbours in this sunny peaceline area of shankill

South Belfast

In my opinion, best to stick to South Belfast, which has more expensive housing.

During the troubles it was by far the quietest area of Belfast, as much of South Belfast is "mixed".

If you can buy near the modern Forestside Shopping Centre which is home to Sainsburys, Marks & Spencers, and various boutiques (and Home-Base is beside it) it should be a good long term investment as it's a very quiet area with good transport links and only 2 miles from the city centre.

belfast areas

hi,
i lived in belfast during the early 90's and managed to get lost in the forth river estate. we were rumbled as strangers and had a very scary time trying to get out of there. I wouldn't advise it.

Like others suggest i'd stick with south belfast.

However I'd be intrigued as to what properties in the Oldpark Road and other roads off the Antrim Road are like these days. The same type of sturdy Victorian three storey houses that were built in the posh Eglantine Road and Windsor Avenues were also built in north Belfast.

These houses used to go for a song as they were in very dangerous interface areas. Today they would have great potential if things improved.

Hope Gerry and Ian start dancing the tango together - but not particularly for property values sake.

Pistoia,

I know you posted your message re Buying in Belfast , back in oct '04. But I was wondering if you went ahead with your purchase and how its working out? Does the rent cover the Mtge?

I too am interested in Belfast as an investment area, rather than the unknown markets abroad. Having gone to college up there I have an affinity with the area and would like to keep an eye on my investment.
What are the hidden costs of UK investments, Council rates? Stamp duty? Stg is expensive now but when/if it improves it could be a good time to invest, off course the rents wont be worth as much on the other side.
What effect would Uk changing to Euro have??

Your comments or anyone out there with advice would be greatly appreciated?

Hi there

since october last year I have done lots of research and met some very interesting professionals in the property investing field whose motto is "invest for cash flow" (then if there is also some capital appreciation that's great, but we consider that "ice on the cake"), one of whom is working from belfast. I have decided to go ahead with my investment, and you might be surprised by the area I am now targeting.
Email me your private email to [email protected] and I will put in touch with this guy.

bye,

Danilo

Back