Being charged for that second cup of coffee

MOFFY01

dont know if this should be in letting off steam thread or here, but am so angry at having to pay for a second cup of coffee at the end of a meal in a restaurant. I think it is incredibly mean and no matter how good the meal has been, it really puts me off the restaurant when they shove those second cups of coffee on the bill! especially given the prices of a meal for 2 these days, could they not throw in a refill for gods sake! (definetly a letting off steam moment)

Definitely... (sorry, MOFFY01)

I agree. But I'd be inclined to express my dissatisfaction to the staff before paying. And before deciding what tip to leave (if any).

Do you complain when this happens? I'd imagine that most places would knock the additional charges off the bill for the sake of customer relations. Why not ask in advance if the restaurant does free refills and go elsewhere if they don't?

DrMoriarty said:
I agree. But I'd be inclined to express my dissatisfaction to the staff before paying. And before deciding what tip to leave (if any).

Oooh, would have to disagree on the tipping issue Dr. M, the charge may not be at their discretion.

I generally wouldn't have more than one cup. If I did, I would expect to be charged. This ain't the USA (yet).

For what it's worth C2K on Upper Abbey Street near the Capel Street junction do free refills which is a nice touch.

a free refill costs a business a few cents but earns much more in positive customer satisfaction etc,have to say dublin has terrible customer service and no one seems to realise the customer is king to the detriment of future business.

As I was driving passed the Bagel Factory (the one beside Lantz wedding shop) I noticed there was a sign in the window saying they give free coffee refills.

I think a free cup of coffee at the end of a meal or lunch shows the establishment appreciates your custom and am more inclined to return and leave a more generous tip which relly means we pay for the coffee anyway!!!

I think it depends on the type of coffee - if they made a fresh espresso or cappucino for me I would expect to be charged again. However, if it was just a refill from one of those glass jugs, then I would expect it to be free (not that the coffee from those jugs is usually up to much in the first place).