Beer maker

T

ttraces

Seeing as i saw breadmaker here i was wondering if anyone had a foray into their own beer making. a subject close to my heart i would like to attempt a successful batch of tt. tried it a few years ago in my youth, the stuff tasted like sugar-ery p*ss but i convinced myself it was the moet of brews and drank it. any suggestions on quality kits etc.
i have the time and energy but most importantly the will to succeed.

beer

Hi there
Just wonder if as you say you have the time ... it mightn't be better to take a holiday instead - I've just been back in Berlin for a while where a six pack can be bought in Lidl for €1.79 (yes ... one euro & seventy nine cents )
At that price one could probably finance the ferry fare, fill the boot and still come home with a saving
and ...... you don't have to wait all that time for the fermentation !!!!
(unfortunately I went Ryanair so didn't have the carboot to fill !)
Laoise

bread-beer

...or you travel to Egypt where they used to make beer from bread ....

beer ...

Cheap enough to do and is quite good.
iniatial setup costs would be about 70 euro.
and then 30 pints of stout for 10 euro.
32 pints of cider would be 12 euro.
can even do homemade vodka. 25 litres for 15 euro.
all good stuff !!

Re: beer ...

A good friend and fellow brew-meister of mine always told me that homebrew is like your own child. No matter how ugly it is, you'll love it becuase you made it.

beved up

Lads,

thanks for the info lads, but where do you get these good kits? the porter could be a devil to brew?
Fr. d, i'll bet that - if anyone gets ill after some tt my response will be "my child wouldn't do a thing like that".

Re: beved up

Easons and lots of other stores used to sell home brew kits so I presume that they're still widely available. I haven't used on since my early teens though. ;)

Wine Maker??

soory to drag the subject off but has anyone ever made their own wine?

Re:Beer

loadsofmoneyaskaboutmoneycom

Be careful of Customs and Excise if you are making Vodka--It is illegal to distill alcohol.

Re: Re:Beer

I thought that those "home brew" vodka kits didn't involve any distillation? I know that sounds like "instant vodka just add water" but I was under the impression that it actually WAS something along those lines...

alcahol

It is possible to ferment alcahol up to a strebgth of 15-20%. Any stronger and the achahol kills the yeast I think thereby ending the process. So you could in theory make vodka to this strength,but it would'nt be the good stuff.

Regarding beer making, if you're not a student anymore, it may be wiser to learn a bit about the process of beermaking and how to find the proper ingredients to make something decent you will be proud of. You're always going to have limited success with those beer making kits.

Wine - again - kits; why make bad tasting plonk that permanently stains your teeth when its easily available in tesco. You'll prpbably need the grapes and all to make the good stuff.

Re: alcahol

All the same it is good fun making home brew. Well it seemed that way when I was 15! ;)

18%

Hi yozzer !
18% is about the maximum alc. content that you would get , under lab conditions ( ph-value,temperature etc. ) .
If you find any yeast strain producing better than that get in contact with the patent office .And send a sample around !

wine..

The homemade wine is top notch. The kits can cost up to 100 Euro for 24 bottles. This is not cheap stuff !
This is when you get the grape concentrate etc.
Again to say that this is top quality stuff !!
When you drink the house wine in a restaurant don't be surprised if your're drinking someones elses homemade wine !
And before anyone climbs up on a high horse, i know one man who makes a living from Homebrew for the restaurants. He wets himself when he hears that the local restaurants are charging 40 Euro per bottle !!!! for his homemade wine. Costs him 4 Euro to produce.
The usual snobbery applies... homebrew... yuck !! 40 euro for the bottle.. what great clarity...what lasting aroma.... what subtle charms..... etc. etc.

beer on wine...

Well all,

the wine would take a lot longer to make? but easier to store and maybe easier to down also.
anyone tried this?

home winos etc

I used to make wine, in the olden days, when it became relatively dear to buy. I stopped when an off-licence on the border started selling surplus wine-lake stuff. It was easy to spot as it was labelled 'produce of the eec' and never named a country. And it was dirt cheap. I enjoyed making wine but hated washing the bottles. You'll need the who kit, filters, mita----- sulphite to clear the wine, filters, spare jars to filter it into, corks, etc
I found the best place to ferment the glue was in the hotpress. Her indoors wasn't too pleased but still managed to drink it. In the end cheap(er) wine and the hassle won. I wouldn't do it again though even if wine got expensive,and yes, I know, wine is as expensive as you want it to be, but you know what I mean.

Back