Beep coming from car on startup

Gabriel

Anyone know what a beep coming from my car might be? It's a BMW and there's no warning lights...start the engine and I get a beep. After that all's well!!

Only started happening recently.

Could it be a "service needed" warning - see [broken link removed] for example? Or maybe there's something relevant [broken link removed]?

I don't think it's the first one...as only one beep and I didn't see anything identical on the second link but I'll Google for the issue anyway. Thanks for the links...

Have you tried searching for details about your specific model and beeps? Is it a single beep? Long or short? Immediately after turning the ignition or after starting the engine or a while later?

I'm looking at the moment...no joy so far.

It's a single short beep (well....short-ish) immediately after turning the ignition. Only time I heard it...except for today when I heard it whilst driving. Again...no readout at all on the dash...no lights etc...

Anyone come across this at all?

Obviously if I can't sus it out I'll bring it to a garage but I'd rather not have to do that until I know what's up.

Could be a low outside temperature warning...usually
warns if temperature is 3 degrees or below.

Could be a low outside temperature warning...usually
warns if temperature is 3 degrees or below.

Ah...I think you could be onto something bstop :)

Now that you mention it the readout was showing 2.5 degrees when I heard this! I will keep an eye on it.

I'm looking at the moment...no joy so far.

It's a single short beep (well....short-ish) immediately after turning the ignition. Only time I heard it...except for today when I heard it whilst driving. Again...no readout at all on the dash...no lights etc...

Anyone come across this at all?

Obviously if I can't sus it out I'll bring it to a garage but I'd rather not have to do that until I know what's up.
What model (and possibly firmware version - no joke!)? A colleague is a BMW fan and might know that the beep is all about.

Ah...I think you could be onto something bstop :)

Now that you mention it the readout was showing 2.5 degrees when I heard this! I will keep an eye on it.

My car beeps on startup when the temp is 3 or under and a snowflake symbol is displayed.

What model (and possibly firmware version - no joke!)? A colleague is a BMW fan and might know that the beep is all about.

It's a 2001 325 Ci. I think it is the weather warning beep...I've read this on a forum somewhere else since bstop mentioned it. Although I don't get the snowflake symbol as also mentioned....so I'm still open to suggestions.

My car beeps on startup when the temp is 3 or under and a snowflake symbol is displayed.
Pat doesn't mention what car he has.

I know Volvos which beep below 3.5 and the temp readout flashes to alert you to possible poor road conditions. An old family Vectra gave the snowflake symbol (below 3) but neither flashed nor beeped. Each system is a little different.

As CM says, try searching on your exact model and see what the norm is for your setup.

Have you got a fiat Pat? The Stilo does the same. beep and snowflake. happens on startup or while driving through different temp zones.

Got into the car today....7 degrees or so outside...no beep. So I'm going to lean towards that being where the beep was coming from. Not conclusive but I think that might be it!

There will be a short beep when the temp is 3 Deg or lower, this happens on start-up or if you are driving. As far as i can remember the temp readout will blink briefly also, I dont think you get any other visual warning on a BMW.

Back