Beech Hedge, Distance From wall?

mossym

Hi all, want to put down a copper beech hedge along my back wall. will be keeping it at around 6ft or so, have just ordered the bare root to be picked up next week, when i thought of something, the hedge is to be planted along a back wall, how far away from the wall should the beech be sewn? the site behind me is 3 ft lower than my garden , so if the roots go through the wall then they will definitely be seen!!

Do i have to rethink my hedge?

Just make sure you plant it the right depth, keep it 12 to 16 inches away and it should be ok as the if planted at the proper depth then the roots should grow down looking for water.

Can I ask you were you bought them and what price you paid per plant ? Thanks

Take a look at Prunus Lusitanica, a beautiful plant for hedging, evergreen, very interesting leaf form, scented small white flowers early summer, easy to maintain and cuts really well.

3 euros a pop, nursery in clare

cheers for that

Take a look at Prunus Lusitanica, a beautiful plant for hedging, evergreen, very interesting leaf form, scented small white flowers early summer, easy to maintain and cuts really well.

cheers, but if can manage the beech would like to stick with it

3 euros a plant is very expensive, I have purchased them for €1.20 a plant in Wicklow

Tulach that sounds like a better area for me, can I ask you where ? and of course what height are they ? They can be got cheap enough but I am looking for 7' tall ones.

Thanks

Van Der Wel Ltd. Cappagh Nurseries, Aughrim, Co. Wicklow. Tel: 0402-36595

I have no affiliation to the above, the ones I got were 2 year old so over 2 ft tall, smaller are cheaper about €1 a pop I think, cash drives a bargain

Trees in Transit in Glenealy should have beech as bare root or even whips. The latter cost < a euro ea, BR depending on size 2- 3ea.

Tulach that sounds like a better area for me, can I ask you where ? and of course what height are they ? They can be got cheap enough but I am looking for 7' tall ones.

Thanks
Havealaugh your user name is spot on if you think you will get 7' beech for €1.20 or even €3 a plant.
I'm out of the business 2 years now, But 7' copper beech best price I would guess would be at least €15 wholesale and bare root.
Another good supplier near vander wells in Augrim is Billy moules nusrery. I have dealt with both in the past and can honestly say that their produce is first class.
by the way if your thinking of planting that size beech, I would get them in the ground preety soon and set up a watering system for the summer months. Good Luck

Havealaugh your user name is spot on if you think you will get 7' beech for €1.20 or even €3 a plant.

I don't think I said I would get them for that, more like I stated I was looking for 7' ones.

Thanks for info on putting them in the ground so soon.

Also thanks to Tulach and Scaper