Beeb's list of British Oscar nominees

ClubMan

I see Peter O'Toole was included in the Beeb's list of British Oscar nominees tonight. Does he hold a UK passport or something?

Update: oh - I just read elsewhere that it's not clear where he was born and it could have been Leeds rather than Connemara, Dublin or Kerry.

Originally Posted by ClubMan
I see Peter O'Toole was included in the Beeb's list of British Oscar nominees tonight
That's the usual but on Sky News last night I noticed he was referred to as "Irish actor Peter O'Toole". Don't know where he was born - possibly in Wales. If he wins I wonder will be still be Irish.

I notice too on the TV channels from across the water, when the weather is on, they always exclude mentioning the weather here even when the map of the British Isles (that's due for a change of name I think) is shown. Doesn't bother me at all that they seem to need to re-inforce asserting their patch. Kind of sad really. This weather thing is particularly noticeable with Utv.

From wikipedia

He appears to be about as Irish/British as your average Charlton-era Irish soccer player.

Irish.

I notice too on the TV channels from across the water, when the weather is on, they always exclude mentioning the weather here even when the map of the British Isles (that's due for a change of name I think) is shown.

I suppose the question is why should they be obliged to give the weather for the Republic? What European country shows its neighbour's weather? The reason I presume why they show the 'British Isles' is that they need to do so in order to show the weather for NI.

Just my opinion!

Last edited:
I came across this quote from Wellington yesterday in "The Fall of Feudalism in Ireland" in " A chapter of English testimony". Perhaps it hints at why he said the above.

I don't expect BBC to give weather for ROI as we don't pay any licence fee. Nor do I expect either BBC NI or UTV* to do so, as they are regional.

But ITV*, CH4, SKY etc are commercial stations that broadcasts in ROI and takes adverts with ROI-specific content. Sky realise this, and their weather forecast includes ROI. They often refer to "Southern Ireland", and I'm never sure if they mean ROI, or just that part of the island south of the Dublin - Galway line. I'm not sure what CH4 or ITV do, but would be surprised if ITV are particularly bad at this given UTV's interest in business in ROI.

* by UTV, I mean programs aimed specifically at NI. By ITV I'm referring to the general program schedule, which is received throughout the island of Ireland as UTV.

anyone remember a few years ago when our government asked the either the Swedes/Norwegians/Danes etc not to specify Ireland when they were giving the weather forecast but to call it 'western europe'. the scandanavians, give them their due- refused. I live in county louth so the bbc weather is handy enough, but I would not expect them to provide a forcase for all of the island. on the other hand when bbc 'mainland' is giving the weather they always show both isles , something we don't do. its not rocket science to watch the bbc and guess our weather. this isobars/cloud cover are usually a give away.