BEAM built in vacuum cleaner.

Got one,

To be honest, given the choice again, I would not go for it. Not really any more convenient than a standard vac, cos the hose is generallly very long and a pain in the ass to drag round the place.

Wexfordman

Got one,

and we think it's brilliant. Quiet and convienent to use. I find 'dragging' the hose around a lot easier than a hover.

So between Wexfordman's and my opinion, I'm sure your mind is made up...:p

Hi Priscilla, If you have wooden floors make sure you get one - they are the worst for dust and fluff.
Beam are the best of all the systems available. A pal has one & I'm getting one installed. It won't break the bank anyway, and if you miss dragging the hoover around you can buy one of them too. Make sure you have a unit on the kitchen floor into which you just sweep the dust, and get a point in the garage to clean the car and grit from shoes.

Well thats 2 out of 3 for getting one so!!! Unless of course you count this post as one against, bringing it back to a tie!!!

To be fair, we still use ours, its 5, nearly 6 years old and has never given any trouble, bar the attatcments getting a bit old at this stage. So as a previous poster said, they dont break the bank, and you can always go for a standard hoover later if you want (which admittedly I have not done).

So is this post for or against getting one :)

Wexfordman

I hadnt really got as far a considering things like this yet for our build. When you say "wont break the bank", what range are talking about?
I assume the system needs a central vacuum pump or something, how big is this and where in the house would it normally be located?

Thanks

I hadnt really got as far a considering things like this yet for our build. When you say "wont break the bank", what range are talking about?
I assume the system needs a central vacuum pump or something, how big is this and where in the house would it normally be located?

Thanks

Ours was 1400 excluding installation, thats for a 3500 sq foot house. Our vacuum 'pump' is in our garage, 10m from the house. It's quite large, maybo 400-500 mm diameter, by 1m height.
In relation to the vac pan for the kitchen plinth,pay the extra to get the metal one, because I'd imagine the plastic one would break very quickly.
[broken link removed]​

Just to boost your recommendations I say get one also - one of the best extra's we put in to our house !! (BEAM also)

I have a vacuflow one over 7 years now and would'nt part with it for the world - if I was ever building again it would still be one of the first things on the list. There has never been an ounce of trouble with it.

Yeah, I had meant to say, I didn't do any research into other brands. I just went with Beam, but it would certainly be no harm to check the others brands out first.

we're at the wall building stage of our build so have already got the pipes in for our BEAM system. 7 points plus a Vacpan. €2136 fully installed with provision to move the machine to the garage from the Utility room once the garage is built.

When the plumber is putting in the first lot of heating pipes before the floors are pored.

Ours was 1400 excluding installation

Gosh for that price wouldn't you just be better off getting one vacuum cleaner for upstairs and one for downstairs?? We have a Henry and we think it's brill, cost us IEP150 or so back in 1997....

We have a Beam - absolutely brilliant. Works in every room in a huge house. Never one bit of trouble and it does add value to your property.

Got a quote recently for our newbuild of approx €2500.

Bought a new Miele after Christmas and it's light and easy to store. It has a long lead and great suction. I could buy one for every room of the house and still save money on buying the BEAM.

Alternatively, I could get someone in to hoover my house and could possibly work up about 200 hours of 'free' labour using my lovely Miele for the price of the BEAM.

Ah, maybe I'm just ould fashioned but I can't see the cost benefit of them.

I have a SMART vacuum in a 10 bedroom b/b for 15 years and never given trouble, just some new brushes. One important point that people seem to miss is that almost all ordinary vacuums duct back into the the room you are vacuuming, just displacing some dust, whereas a centralised vacuum should have its exhaust ducted to the outside of the building.
One other point is that it is very useful in our environment as the noise is remote, not disturbing any late risers.

Back