Beach resort in Athens?

Bluebean

Hi all,

Thinking of heading to Athens at the end of September. Want to combine a city break with a beach break if possible.

What areas are on the beach in Athens, but still have a good bus/public transport link to the centre of Athens?

I think Voula is one of them, but are there others? Any accommodation advice (self catering preferabaly) also appreciated.

thanks

Hi,

I'm so jealous - you're going to have a great time and September is a lovely time to see Athens, not too hot and humid.

I've never stayed there but Glyfada to the south of Athens looks nice, I've passed it on the bus and I think the metro goes there now.

Also, would you consider a day or two on Aegina or Angistri (I can recommend a hotel here if you're interested)? They are considered part of the commuter belt of Athens. You get the metro to Pireaus and hop on a catamaran and you'll be there in no time (< 1hr if I remember rightly). Worth the trip for the pistachios :) Agia Marina on Aegina has a nice beach and some ferries go directly there without stopping in Aegina town.

As for where to stay, hotels (and self-catering) are dead cheap in September. It's no harm to book in advance, at least for your first night. And haggling will usually get you a better deal.

Are you planning to stay in the city centre at all? I can recommend a rough and ready hotel with a roof bar to die for. If you're happy with basic but clean rooms check out [broken link removed]. No affiliation apart from staying there every time I'm in Athens. 2 minutes walk from Monastiraki metro so very handy.

Matt's website gives a handy introduction to Athens and Greece in general.

Hope this helps,

g

hi Gnubbit,

great info there - although those links just seem to bring me to a gmail log in page??

Anyway, am very interested in what you're saying about Aegina or Angistri, please do let me know your recommendation - you can pm me if you prefer. The idea of getting a catamaran in to Athens is very appealing.

Have to go in September as couldn't take the heat of July or August - end of September should be just right for me I hope :)

As for staying in centre of Athens, we may be visiting friends who live there so I'll check out that hotel you are talking about.

thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Hi Bluebean,

Oops - links fixed! :eek:

The hotel we stayed in Agistri was [broken link removed]. We had a deluxe room (newly done up, very nice) and it was about €40 per night for the room. It has a pool which nobody seemed to use and a handy little bar that did food as well. Agistri (or Angistri - take your pick) is tiny and hasn't got much to do apart from laze around or go for walks. There are some really nice places to eat but you'll find that wherever you go.

I stayed in Agia Marina on Aegina years ago and I think the hotel was Sandy Beach. As the name suggests, it was right beside the sandy beach. Again, it was cheap and cheerful - accommodation tends to be clean but basic in Greece.

I suppose it depends what kind of holiday you'd prefer. Aghai Marina has the nicer beach and Aegina has more to see in itself. Aegina town is nice and if you're interested in history, there is a fabulous temple within walking distance of Aghia Marina. Agistri is perfect to get away from it all and have laziness thrust upon you. Aegina probably has better ferry/catamaran connections to Pireaus too. There are regular connections between Agistri and Aegina town as well. Matt Barrett's site will give you some more info to help you decide and he probably has links to some of the ferry companies. Unfortunately, they don't publish their timetables well in advance but they tend to keep a certain number of connections between ports even if the times change.

All this talk of Greece is making me wish I were there :)

Just post back if you've any more questions.

Hi again,

Still struggling to find a nice self catering apartment in or near Athens. Think we would prefer to spend 5 nights in Athens, 5 nights in Aegina possibly - Agristri is just that little bit too far I think.

Anyone know of good websites for apartments? I've googled it to death but anything good that comes up is either above budget (max of 100 euro per night for a 1 or 2 bed apartment) or else not available.

Starting to get disheartened that we'll get anywhere at all!

Any idea how much the ferry costs between Pireaus and Aegina?

thanks.

I went to a wedding in Athens 8 years ago that was held in VOULIAGMENI, 20km outside the city. Fantastic location, fantastice beach, shops and restaurants. The Island restaurant will stick in my mind as being amazing.

Back