BBC2, ITV analogue - Switching off in UK Permanently.

Sn@kebite

If this comes all digital to ROI will it be good? I know it's FTA but they could theoretically start charging anything they like, couldn't they?
Why do they want to change from analogue anyway?
If you have more than one tv in your house you need set-top boxes for each tv unless you are happy watching what everyone else is.

Is this a good thing?

Certain areas of the Republic can freely receive BBC's digital service. I don't see why they'd start charging for it now, they're supported by the licence fee, so don't need to charge. They won't be rolling this out in ROI, so have to get it from cable or satellite if you're not in a suitable location.

Why do they want to change from analogue anyway?

Are you serious? I guess some people asked the same question in relation to moving from black & white to colour too.

If you have more than one tv in your house you need set-top boxes for each tv unless you are happy watching what everyone else is.
No you don't. You just need a TV with a digital tuner, and these have been available for years.

The Irish switch-off is a few years away yet, but it is planned.
Leo

Are you serious? I guess some people asked the same question in relation to moving from black & white to colour too.
Well I was going by the portable analogue tvs. You know the small black ones? I have one and if it goes digital will i still be able to use this? Guess not. Or i will have to carry a satellite box and dish around with me. Maybe the technology will be more advanced then and will solve this.

And as for the black & white tvs, if you're into art you'll know that B/W shows up detail more than colour. Like if you watching a sculpture programme. And that's why lots of photographers use B/W film in the SLR camera, for the superior detail when shooting.

Buy a new small TV. They cost about the same as a bag of bruised apples.
As for the black and white problem; you will just have to suffer for your art

The change is because the bandwidth vacated by the analogue channels can be auctioned off to provide more money for Gordon Brown to waste.

So what about in the midlands where an antenna booster will enable you to receive BBC etc from NI transmitters?

Will a similar thing work with the Digital transmitters ?

The change is because the bandwidth vacated by the analogue channels can be auctioned off to provide more money for Gordon Brown to waste.

was under the impression that this was an EU directive and that Ireland/RTE etc must comply. and by 2012. at least the BBC etc are open about the shut off date. Don't recall any RTE messages about the switchover.