BBC 4 gone missing from NTL cable digital

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Does anyone know what the story is here. There is no channel 117 available at the moment. It seems to have gone missing once or twice before.

Is it NTL or is it me?

Brendan

It's on here for me at the mo, I've lost all the channels for time to time but the ntl card has been a bit loose.

Switch off for 10 minutes and channels should reappear when box is switched off. Happens frequently

Thanks Ely

I switched it off and did that not work.

Then I unplugged it for 20 minutes and it's back now.

I leave it turned on generally, so that I can record from it. Should I be switching it off when there is no programme due to be recorded?

Brendan

In my experience, the ntl digital tuner benefits from being regularly rebooted. For example, then the programme guide is not showing content for tomorrow or the next day, or is taking ages to pull back a page, a reboot generally does the trick.

With regard to leaving electrical devices switched on when they're not in use, that is a topic that is getting more and more airtime. IIRC 8% of annual domestic consumption in the UK is accounted for by consumer electrical devices on standby.

I used to work for the lovely people in Not Today Lads...As suggested earlier, a re-boot needs the box to be 'unplugged' rather than the stb being switched off.....This will work for most problems such as freezing, channels missing, banner showing but no picture etc....You must leave it unplugged for at least 10 seconds though, if this doesn't work, call ntl and request a D-Hit to be sent to the box !

r2d2

Also, press the 'Help' button on your NTL remote, then the yellow button - this reboots and usually solves any problems I have with NTL digital.

I got this reply today from NTL - 5 days later. It took Nicelives and Askaboutmoney 5 minutes to suggest a solution!

But they seem to suggest that it was an NTL problem all along.

These are now gone from my set-top box but they are showing as available on the NTL website

I am not sure what deal I have but I had the stations at the weekend.

Does this shambles of a company drop stations without informing their customers?

I have switched off the set-top box to see if they will come back, but they are not on the index either.

brendan