Bayside/Santry

clownie

Considering moving to Bayside or Santry from Meath. We have 3 young children. 1 in 1st class. The others not in school yet. Just wondering what the area and the houses are like. Is it a good location for a family. We are currently living in a 4 bed detached house but would consider downsizing if we can find a good area so as not to have to commute to Dublin to work. We are also considering moving to Santry Shanliss/Shanowen area. What would your opinion be of these areas. Thanks for all help.

An obvious advantage of Bayside would be the Dart and perhaps it's proximity to the coast if that's something you like.

thanks for your reply. The dart was one of the reasons we were considering Bayside. But the houses seem cheap compared to other areas in Dublin and were wondering if it was an ok area to live in.

IMO Bayside is a lovely area to live in. Good transport links, well established community, excellent primary school and a good selection of secondary schools close by.

The local shops do leave a bit to be desired but there is a planning application in at the moment for an overhaul and in the meantime Superquinn in Sutton and Dunnes in Donaghmede are close enough.

Tesco in Clarehall is also pretty close to Bayside. Have to say personally I'd prefer Bayside but only cos I'm from the coast and rather that, not as far from home for me. Have a colleague who bought in Bayside a few years ago and is quite happy with it.

It does seem a good location. I suppose what I really want to know is:
  • is it a settled estate or are a lot of the houses rented out so neighbour always changing?
  • are the houses well built . They are terraced houses so is the isulation between them good? with 3 young children our house would be noisey at times and i would hate to have to tell them to be quiet all the time so as not to disturb neighbours.
  • are there many families in the area
  • is it a safe estate for children
thank you all for your help

Shanliss /Shanowen is a quiet settled area and close to plenty of amenities, Omni Shopping centre, cinema pubs, local schools are in walking distance also.

I lived in Bayside and Santry. I would say from my own experiences that Bayside is the best place to go. It has schools, shops, pub, taxis, beside dart, take away, lots of green areas for kids to play. It's a pretty quite spot and because most the the roads are Cul de Sac's cars are pretty slow.

Anyway, thats just me opinion.

Hope it was of some help

Eoin

Hi
No question Bayside is the better place by far. Dart, near seaside good schools and facilities. The reason I think it is cheaper could be because the houses are off a certain style, I think you will find this kind of estates more in England than here and they are propably not the most attractive. But Bayside is a very good area, I have lived there and unfortunately when it came to buying a house in Sutton Park which is in Bayside but a different style house to the majority in Bayside we were priced out of it.
This a personal opinion and each to their own but I hope it helps.

Have you lived in Santry???

No apologies necessary. I was just curious as lots of people say soemthing os better than something else without having tried both.

I've lived in both Santry and Bayside. Loved Bayside - long walks by the coast, proximity of Howth/Sutton etc. I didn't like Santry at all - it seemed just to be a route to the airport - very conscious of people just 'passing through' the area. Bayside much more settled. The only negative things I was aware of about Bayside was that the shopping centre could be rough at night, taxis from town were a bit of a pain and the walk back from the Dart felt quite isolated at night. Neighbours also told me that there were ongoing problems with teenagers congregating in the green areas/lanes behind houses. This may have changed in recent years.

Have you lived in Santry???

Foxylady,
Yes I lived in Santry for three years. I think I am in a position to give a balanced view however as I said it is my opinion and each to there own.

I've been interested to hear about the Shanowen area too. We're looking around the area just to the north-east of the Ballymun Road/Collins Avenue junctions. The positives seem to be the fact we'll be near to the proposed Metro stop at DCU (public transports is a big draw for me), the houses are relatively big compared to the old Corpo-style 3 beds, some have great gardens (a draw for 'er Indoors), and having been to the area a few times now (admittedly never later than 9pm), it seems fairly quiet, residential, and graffiti-free. We were originally looking around the proposed Griffith Avenue stop, but most houses were out of our range, and those that were both needed renovation _and_ were the old-style smaller Corpo houses.

P.

Hi there,
We live near there - near the autoban pub. I must say the area in general is really nice.
I do know someone who lives near the dividing wall with ballymun and it can be problematic.
Other than that the DCU/ Santry end is lovely...

I haven't lived in Bayside so I can't comment on Bayside.

I did live for many years in Santry. I would agree it feels like an area that people pass through...and they do, in their hundreds everyday in their cars. I would advise anyone looking at Shanowen, Shanard, Shanliss to have a look there at peak hour to see what the car traffic is like...it can be pretty horrendous at worst and continous at best. Always find people trying to reverse out of their own driveways or cross their road with their children have to wait for thru-traffic to pass by. As I say, at peak hours it is continous. A lot of people access the Ballymun Road route into town by coming off the M1 or Airport Road and driving through Shanliss, Shanowen etc. So there's that.

There are a lot of rented houses too given the proximity to DCU so you can be lucky or unlucky there. We had a rented house next to us and we had both very good and very bad experiences. I think the good ones were when he stopped renting to students. Some of them are like something let loose! If you're buying check out if house next door is rented.

Bus routes aren't bad if you're working in the Northside of city centre. But if you have to get to St Stephens Green etc then maybe O'Connell St is a problem. It was when I was there but maybe things have improved.

Shops are not great at all. Omni despite refurbishment and extension, there still isn't many shops on offer. There is a local Spar and Centra which have handy opening hours. The Esso station is down the road if you run out of milk late at night.
Cinema at Omni, so that might be handy for kids. There are schools in the area too. There is a park ten minutes at most from Shanowen. Playground for kids, that's nice. But I wouldn't think there is a great deal going for atmosphere or community spirit. I didn't find any! I had lovely neighbours next door but I hated the traffic. Lost one of my favourite cats to it.
That's just my tuppence offfering.

Thanks for all the info. I have looked at a few houses in shanowen/shanliss area and I was not that impressed by the area. Just wondering if any one has any experience of the Lorcan/Magenta/Shantalla etc area. Are they effected by the motorway and is it a more settled area?

I'm going to have a look at some houses in Bayside too as it got such a positive response. Thank you all for your help

If you interested there is a house for sale on coolrua drive with gwd priced at 430k prob needs work, but this is very quiet area and also there are 2 others for sale on coolatree pk also beaumont are, both near shantalla and this is also v quiet road most residents are old so kids all grown up and gone.

Good friend of my lives in Lorcan estate on the east side (Lorcan is split by the M1). Very quiet estate, great houses. I'm not aware of traffic being a major problem getting out in the AM. She works near O'Connell Street and it usually takes her about half an hour to get to town at peak times.