Bathroom refurb - how much could I do myself?

MGL

Hi,
We are looking at completely refurbing our bathroom and I'd like to gauge how much of the work I could reasonably expect to do myself (to cut cost) and also what order would be best.
We need to
  • move the gas boiler to another location (as it would be located over bath) and install extractor fan to use up the "hole in the wall"
  • move bath to right-angle to current position and build semi partition wall to act as shower unit
  • install pump on hot water supply as pressure is dreadful
  • move toilet to right-angle to current position
  • move sink on to another wall (this is a partition wall, am pretty sure we will try to fit it on a press unit, as am not sure wall would bear the load)
  • install 3 "spot" lights to replace the existing traditional bulb
  • tile the room and semi-partition wall/bath side/shower cubicle
The moving of the bathroom furniture (new suite) and replumbing, installing and wiring the lights, and constructing the partition and tiling all seem like things that we should be able to do....this leaves the boiler move, and installation of water pump and extractor fan as the things I would need someone for and also what we should get done first.
Sorry if this is long-winded, but i've seen some pretty qualified advice on here....hope i'm not being too naive??!

Thx
MGL

I am preparing to start a very similar job in my own house. I need a radiator moved, a pump and a new tank etc.. All this particular work requires the central heating system to be drained down so I will be leaving that to the professionals.

Regarding the moving of bath, sinks etc.. this can be done yourself if you have done it before or are confident in your ability. Tiling is the same. Just plan it out well.

Thx Valhalla and good luck...we had been planning on using the existing boiler flue as the vent for the extractor fan - this would be located on the wall directly above the bath, on the same end as the shower. Does anyone know if this is unwise (i.e. could water spray cause problems?). Also, can anyone reccomend a reliable plumber in the Malahide/Portmarnock/Kinsealy area - have tried both onlinetradesmen.com and mytrade.ie to no avail....

Thx
Mike.

Hi MGL,

I work at Onlinetradesmen.com and will look into this for you. Sometimes there are no tradesmen available around a requested start date which results in no reply from them but the majority of requests (83%) receive favorable replies. If you email me the details of your submission at info@onlinetradesmen.com i'll come back to you with some detail.