Bathroom: Plastering vs taped&jointed

fullerand

Hi,

Am having the bathroom redone. We don't want tiles everywhere - we want two walls to be painted. Initially we planned on plastering these areas before painting, but our builder is advising that we reslab the walls (original plasterboard was half falling off!) and have them taped&jointed, which is apparently sufficient for painting.

Has anyone done this before, and does it give a nice finish once painted? I'd have thought that the lines would still be visible even after painting

Thanks

Last edited:
Its fine to tape and then paint ...if its done well. However if its a bathroom and of corse wet, then far better to skim, and use moisture resistant plasterboards (they are green) rather than regular boards.

Thanks legs.

Turns out that the guy has proceeded with plans to just tape&joint the bathroom walls.

I'll be doing the painting myself - what can I do to protect the plasterboard before painting it? Is there some sealant which would do the trick?

Use a good quality drywall primer, or Unibond thinned with water would work as well.An oil based eggshell for a finish.

As a matter of interest the green, moisture resistant board is not suitable for skimming anyway and tape and joint is the recommended finish for this board.

Back