Bathroom opening into Kitchen - is it allowed ?

bMino

Hi all,

We have an old ex-council house which has the bathroom downstairs opening directly into the Kitchen. You must enter the kitchen first before you can enter the bathroom. All old houses in our area are like this at present. Some houses have converted an upstairs bedroom to remove this problem.

We would like to do a one story extension, as the kitchen area is very small. This would still mean that the bathroom door would be opening directly into the kitchen with the new extension. I understand from a hygiene point this is not the best.

Question: Are there any regulations stating that it is not allowed to have a bathroom opening directly into a kitchen ??

Thanks for any help
bMino

I think there needs to be two doors between it or something, eg a door on the toilet and a door between it and the kitchen. I'm open to correction on this I'm sure some people on here are into planning/regs and stuff like that.

The regulations say that there has to be a closed space between kitchens and toilets i.e another room.

I was looking at these houses online today and the WC opens into Kitchen/ Diner?

[broken link removed]

I think the regulations would apply to any new build houses. I had an old house like this before and you had to go into the kitchen and then the bathroom was to the side and the toilet which was separate again was out the other side.

I know a lot of people who have bought this type of house and built extensions and changed the layout to comply with the regulations.

no, you can have a wc opening onto a kitchen... all you need is the door....

2.4 A room or other space containing a water
closet should be separated from a place used for the
preparation or cooking of food by means of -
(a) in the case of a building used solely as a
dwelling, a door, and

(b) in any other case, a properly ventilated passage
or lobby.

from TGD G: hygiene

Back