Bathroom fan not wired correctly and not vented

DangerMouse

Hi, I recently bought a second hand house and since have discovered a few problems. The bathroom fan (and associated light circuit) is completely incorrectly wired. Turning off the main switch for the fan turns off the landing light etc. Also, the builder never vented the fan just ran it up through the ceiling and threw the ducting to the side in the attic.
Is there any point chasing the builder to come and fix the faults in the house or am I better just to accept it as is and sort it out myself. Any advice appreciated.

Hi,

If its a second-hand house how would you be able to chase the builder?

It would definitely be necessary to sort out the venting kit because you will have major condensation problems if it is not vented out as far as the eaves(?) of the house.

It should be fairly easy to fix, depending on how good you are with diy, and if it is a bunglow or two story.

Our fan was also just routed to the attic. I went to the local 4homes (or B&Q, Woodies etc. would have them). Bought a length of flexible hose for extractor fans, and an outside grill.

Went to the attic, ran the hose from the extractor fan to the eaves and then cut a hole in the eaves, mounted the grill and connected the hose. All done in an hour or so. It was easier to vent through the eaves, otherwise you can get a vent tile and vent it out through that.

Regarding the fan, it depends on how it is wired and if you are happy to rewire it. If you are worried then it is best to get an electician.

Thanks, I'll definitely fix up the venting, the wiring might be another issue. Will see if I can decipher the muddled circuit. I guess there is no point chasing the builder (he is still tidying up bits and pieces around the site but effectively has moved on)

you can simply replace the old one with a new fan from B&Q, and on top of that buy a vertical pulley switch. have the fan connected then u are sorted.

hi the brother has a new house 2 years old and had one of them fans in the ceiling explode making a 2" hole in the ceiling and also sending bits of burning plastic flying everywhere including into the cavity wall insulation.the insulation caught fire and burned all the way up to the roof.local fire brigade stopped the house from going up but flooded the whole place...cherry floors wrecked walls full of water and rotten acrid smell for a month.the fan was wired wrong,so get it replaced and have the wiring checked!!