Bathroom fan is not working when I want it to

EVGR

The bathroom fan has started a life of its own. When I turn it on, it doesn't come on, but only a hum. Then 5 minutes later it can start working. Sometimes it doesnt come on at all. What could be the problem and how can I fix it?

It sounds like it is gummed up.

It could be filled with dust/talc if it is from an internal bathroom (i.e. one that has no outside wall, before you blighters all start poking fun with "I thought all bathrooms were internal in this day and age" etc.).

Or there might be something stuck in the blades of the fan.

Switch it off and have a look at the fan blades. You can try to hoover it out if it is dust or remove any obstruction if it is not. Otherwise, you will have to remove it (take the cover off and pull the fan out, having first switched off the mainboard switch) and clean it.

It definitly sounds like the fan-blades are stuck (hence the hum - motor trying to turn the blades), I had a similar problem and discovered that the "air tunnel tubing" beyond the fan had slightly pushed down onto the fan thus stopping it from turning, a slight realignment and problem fixed.

Worth checking out asap as who knows what damage the motor could be undergoing if it's not able to turn the blades.

agree with ye both there, clean mine at a regular interval... amazing the dust that gathers on the fan

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I shall have a look and clean it out!

I cleaned it out and it worked for a while, but now it has stopped. I think maybe the motor in the fan has been damaged. We have a fan in the downstairs loo we don't use. Would it be a difficult job to put in another fan, or is that a job for an electrician? Thank you!

Could it be the humidistat type that only comes on when the humidity level rises regardless of turning it on or off?

Could it be the humidistat type that only comes on when the humidity level rises regardless of turning it on or off?

No I dont think so. I was working perfectly before. It worked after I had cleaned out the dust, but maybe it was already damaged.