Bathroom Extractor Fans

HouseHunter

We have a windowless bathroom and the extractor fan we have at present is pretty useless. Can anyone recommend a really effective extractor fan or are they all fairly ineffective?

Cheers

I think I seen some by Robus. They fit all the hotels and pubs with them. The National Lighting Showrooms have some connection with them.
I may be way off but am sure i saw them there. hope i could help.
Alan - Interior Designer

Possibly there isn't enough of a fresh air intake and the fan can't shift enough air.
Try it with the door open, if that helps then you could fit a vent near the bottom of the door.

if you plan to replace why don't you go for a ventilated skytube, so you can also get light

Possibly there isn't enough of a fresh air intake and the fan can't shift enough air.
Try it with the door open, if that helps then you could fit a vent near the bottom of the door.

Would fitting a 2nd fan help?

Two fans shouldn't be necessary, the ordinary 100mm fan shifts three times the amount of air specified in the Building Regs.
The point I was making is that for the 100mm fan to operate properly, there should be a gap of about 12mm at the bottom of the door to allow replacement air to flow in.
If that gap isn't there then fitting a vent low down in the door would be a good idea.

I find most enclosed bathrooms suffer from damp and mildew, including my own, the typical single fan simply can't ventilate the room quick enough to remove the damp air after a shower or two. Even when theres a decent gap under the door or its left open.

I know this thread is about extractor fans in windowless bathrooms. I was wondering if extractor fans necessary in bathrooms with a window?

Hi,
Gnubbit
you asked a question about extractor fans.
I also have a question on these.
If I have a window that opens in an ensuite, is an extractor fan still required.
what is the regulation on this. ??

Anyone know.

thanks

Extractor Fans are a must in all bathrooms, whether or not you have a window. Steam builds up over time and eventually you will start getting mould/damp patches in the ceiling. We are all guilty of not opening the window if it is too cold or if you're in a hurry. I had a noisy extractor fan which came on every time I turned on the bathroom light but I changed it recently for Tastic fan. At least this one doesn't come on everytime you go in to the bathroom, you turn it on manually if you want it on. I can definitely recommend this fan for getting rid of steam very quickly and I wouldn't consider it noisy. You can set it to two different speeds, the quicker one obviously being a bit noisier. It automatically turns off after a certain length of time (approx. 10 mins). However, the light isn't very strong if it is the only artificial light in your room, or if your bathroom is quite large (it might be sufficient for a small en-suite).

Hi...another question on bathroom extractor fans. I too have an en suite without a window and the extractor fan seems to of stopped working altogether last week. it goes up into the attic and the pipe/tube disappears after that...anyone any idea how I can fix it?

Thanks.

My problem is that my fan works too well. It is electric and ducted but there is a constant draught even when it is not switched on. There is something like a motor in the attic half way on the duct line. The grill over the shower is open and was wondering is there a system that a grill opens and closes as the fan is switched on and off. The heat is just being funnelled outside.

I have this problem with a downstairs WC. I was thinking of putting a cowl on the wall vent, to stop wind being able to get straight in.

you can buy weighted louvred vents they open when the fan creates a pressure against them and then close when the fan is off.

Thanks Sparkee, I will check with the Electrical Wholesaler if they have them available. Sorry for delay in responding, but was away in Tenerife for a bit of sun and just getting back to aam.