Bathroom Dilemma

S

suzzybab

Can anyone help pls? Only moved into the house about eight months back, but the other day found black stains in my shower tray. Just in the corner where the seal is. Thought it might be due to the fact that it wastn't getting washed as regularly as it should.(not by choice but work demands make it impossile to wash it regularly) so l only wash it once a week.

However, these black stains are still there and wont go no matter how much l wash or try to clean it off. Does anyone know how to jet rid of black stains in the shower?

Re: Bathroom Delima

think that is a type of fungi growth, the wrong type of silicone may have been used in installation. you could remove silicone seal and replace with an anti-fungal type.

Re: Bathroom Delima

Thanks Davyjones. But problem is dont know how to remove silicon. Any ideas.Can l do it myself or do l have to get a professional (l m not the best when it comes to DIY but l m willing to try )

I normally use a sharp stanley knife and patience. I am pretty sure you can get a chemical that removes it, although I've never used it. try any bathroom shop for it.

applying silicone can be tricky as you want a continous bead. Try and get it right 1st time around. Cut the nossle to the width that you want the bead to be.It you miss abit or break the bead, lick your finger and smooth off silicone, can get messy, have plenty of tissue at hand.

Good luck

You can get a silicon remover paste - I'm in Oz and we have Selleys Silicon Remover. It's great stuff but v. messy. Just spread it on quite thickly, let it work (a couple of hours I think) then scrape the lot off. You may still need the stanley knife but not quite so much patience as the majority of the dratted stuff comes off with the remover. A tip for siliconing anything - use some washing up liquid on your finger when smoothing it down and you'll end up with a nice neat finish.