Basic html form question

CGorman

Im aware that im unlikely to get a great response from people here at AAM, so this is only a copy of my post at Boards.ie

I've very limited html knowlege and am playing around with building a basic website. I want to include a simple comment form that sends the data via email to my email account. However it does'nt seem to send, I think I saw somewhere saying that this aspect of html is no longer supported by most browsers, is this correct? My very simplistic code is along these lines
Code:
  <html>
  <body>
 <form action="MAILTO:myaddress@gmail.com" method="post" enctype="text/plain">

<h3>Send me your comments</h3>
 Name:<br>
 <input type="text" name="name"
 value="yourname" size="20">
 <br>Mail:<br>
 <input type="text" name="mail"
 value="yourmail" size="20">
 <br>
 Comment:<br>
 <input type="text" name="comment"
 value="yourcomment" size="50">
 <br><br>
 <input type="submit" value="Send">
 <input type="reset" value="Reset">

</form>
 </body>
 </html>

Hi CGorman,

My (13 year old) daughter uses HTML codes quite a bit for her websites. She wants to explain the following:

Hey CGorman. I've been using these e-mail forms for a long while now with my own websites. When I first started using them they worked quite well, but over time I do think that they have not been very compatible with most browsers. I'm still not very sure why this is so. When you click the submit button on your form, does it take you directly to Microsoft e-mail? This is the problem that I have been getting with my own form and many other webmasters are complaining of the same problem.

I have edited your form slightly to make it just a little easier to maintain, which I think might fix it for you, but I'm still not sure if this will help it submit properly. Here is your code which I have edited and added just some small features to:

Code:
<form method="post" enctype="text/plain" action="[email="myaddress@gmail.com"]mailto:myaddress@gmail.com[/email]">
<input type="hidden" name="To" value="test">
<br>Name:
<br><input type="text" name="Name:" value="Your name" size="50" maxlength="100">
<br>
<br>Mail:
<br><input type="text" name="Mail:" value="Your e-mail address" size="50" maxlength="100">
<br>
<br>Comment:
<br><input type="text" name="Comment:" value="Your comments" size="50" maxlength="100">
<br>
<br>
<input type="submit" value="Send">
<input type="reset" value="Reset">

Hope this works. We are going on hols. tomorrow so we might not be able to post back. Perhaps others here can help instead.

Sueellen.

Im sorted - I posted my query on several forms and collectively got this answer:

HTML mailto forms are no longer supported by most browsers (anything past Microsft Internet Explorer 6.0 or equivilant). To create forms, you now need to create a scripte using either php, cgi or asp. Since I have'nt registered with my host yet I can't start to build up my code - i have'nt registered yet because I still have to write about 80% of the websites content - and theres no point paying for hosting i can't use!

If you want to know its all part of my first business! I've talked the talk, now im going to walk the walk! All will be revealed 1 September!

Well my little business/website will take a huge amount of work to create - but not much to maintain, so im aiming to have it ready before September 1st so I can study for the leaving Cert with one less distraction - maintaince could be done at weekends.

Enjoy your holiday (you'll proably be back before you can respond!).