Basic Garden Design

money man

Hello,

I was wondering where you could get some very basic garden design tips for your standard semi-d urban garden? something to incorporate a patio/lawn some shrubs/beds/whatever? with pictures and step by step instructions? or is this asking a bit much!! i dont need loads of info on plants etc just on layout really.

Lots of books out there on garden design? I think there is something on the BBC website too if I remember correctly.

You can access some good hints and tips through the Homebase website http://www.applegategardens.co.uk/, with planting plans, layouts, suggested plants etc. I used the basic (free) section, but you can pay a few quid for some more in-depth advice.

There's a website called garden.ie which you might find useful, it covers aspects of design, assessment, construction etc. There are "Case studies" of different types of garden, e.g. "Small Suburban Garden" with layouts and information.

Some of your decision will already be made for you, such as you will probably want your patio to go in the sunniest position, and your shed in the shadiest! If you have a BBQ and/or a patio heater then there will be obvious positions for them.

Have a think too about how much maintenance you want to put into your garden. A patio just needs the odd weedkilling between slabs, but if you go for a deck you'll need to protect it regularly. Do you like cutting grass or would pebbles with "stepping stones" be more practical for you?

Lots of ideas out there and you can get inspiration from anywhere. Enjoy!

Garden.ie seems to be very good as it has pictures of most things. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.keep it coming. Must have a look at the B&B one now. I like the idea of a patio ie slabs and think i would be able to do this without much difficulty myself. Have to see where best position is now....

I made my own decking out of the square palets of wood used on building sites, I filled in the gaps between with the same wood, painted it with fencing paint , put a cheaply priced patio set and a few pot plants around it,now when any one sees they always comment on how natural it looks

Has Jordan been to a BBQ at yours ?