Basel International - Is it a scam?

C

CP2000

I received a cold call from a brokerage firm, Basel International.

The guy who called me is very convincing and offered me to buy shares at a discounted price. He mentioned that he wants my business that's why they can sell me shares at discounted price. I said no but he kept on calling me.

They claimed to be based out of Tokyo but when I checked FSA Japan website, they are not registered there. I asked my friend in Tokyo to call the building administrator of the address on their website but there is no company called Basel International on that building.

Has anyone been contacted by this company? I suspect this is just another cold call scam.

I can't find information about Basel International anywhere apart from their website (basel-intl.com)

I received a cold call from a brokerage firm, Basel International.

The guy who called me is very convincing and offered me to buy shares at a discounted price. He mentioned that he wants my business that's why they can sell me shares at discounted price. I said no but he kept on calling me.

They claimed to be based out of Tokyo but when I checked FSA Japan website, they are not registered there. I asked my friend in Tokyo to call the building administrator of the address on their website but there is no company called Basel International on that building.

Has anyone been contacted by this company? I suspect this is just another cold call scam.

I can't find information about Basel International anywhere apart from their website (basel-intl.com)

Well done for checking into it so thoroughly. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck etc..

Unless the firm is authorised to trade here in Ireland, it's illegal for any firm to attempt to sell financial services here. You can check the register of firms that are authorised on the "Registers" section of the Central Bank's website www.centralbank.ie or by phoning them.

If you've been cold-called by an unregistered firm, you should notify the Central Bank as they can publish warning notices.

Thank you for the comments. I'm now convinced this is a fraud. Will stay away from these people.

Back