Bark....barking mad

emul

So the story .... put down need flower beds, finished off with Mylex and bark laid on top. Every morning I come out the bark is scattered over garden, I assume this is a cat, scattering it around.

Any ideas

what could be doing this?
How do I stop this ?

The birds are pulling it all out at my house. Keep putting it back in!

if its a cat you can get powder in most hardware stores that discourages cats from the area....

if its a bird..!! sorry Dunno..!!!

Far more likely to be birds tossing it around looking for slugs, woodlice etc. sheltering underneath it. Cats have far better things to be doing with their time

If is cat or a dog scatter orange peel or chopped onions. tends to put them off.

my problem is that the grass is starting to grow through the mylanex and bark mulch - how can I stop this?

Use granular carosan. Keeps weed free for the year. My hubby puts it around the flowerbeds late March/early April.

the 'mypex' should not really need to be used in theory. The point where one of the factors required for the growth of any plant - in this case light is eliminated - is achieved by the bark.

The bark need to be able to 'stick' to something ie. moisture and it cannot achieve this on a plastic underlay.

It would also appear that you maybe using a large chip mulch which will frixxle/ dry out in this summer sun.

Try for the fine mulch and eliminate the mypex[the semi permiable membrane] this will - at the right depth - sort out your problems. If the bark breaks down ie. turns from muclch to compost the weeds will germinate on top. Spot spary with a translocated herbicide to solve this.

oirish

Skutch grass or it scutch grass . No matter how much we try to remove it by pulling it out at the roots we are losing the battle. We can tolerate it in the grass if we have to. but the flower and shrub beds don't appreciate it. Would the bark do the trick!!!!

Any advice please.

Cheers

Justsally