Barcelona - Where to stay?

DaithiMc2007

Hi there everybody,

I am travelling to Barcelona with family in late August. Can anyone with previous experience of the city maybe suggest suitable districts to rent an apartment?
Any help much appreciated.

DM2007

Depends on how long you're staying and the size of your family, but I used www.oh-barcelona.com before and was very happy with them. Obviously anywhere central is a good call, but again depending on the ages of your family, you may want somewhere lively or somewhere quiet.

The Ramblas is the main street. Anywhere near that will be fairly central. The Barri Gothic is the old town and is beautiful. The Born is similar but can be a bit "less comfortable".

Sorry, I know thats all very vague, but hard to say any more without knowing more about what you want...

Thanks for that bq.

Of all the various apartments sites that I had looked at I was thinking Oh-Barcelona seemed to be best! We are staying for 4 nights at end of August, myself and partner, 2 kids (4 + 3 months) and mum in-law!! Barri Gothic sounds good - it was actually the Old Town I was looking for but I was finding it hard to determine where exactly Old Town was as there is properties in Raval district also which claim to be Old Town.

Cheers
DM07

Barri Gothic sounds good - it was actually the Old Town I was looking for but I was finding it hard to determine where exactly Old Town was as there is properties in Raval district also which claim to be Old Town.
Try and keep away from Raval if you can. This is the warren of streets directly to the west of las Ramblas and is sometimes refered to as "Chinatown" by the locals. Barri Gothic is the area to the east of las Ramblas and is better although some of the parts nearer the port aren't so great. If you continue going east through the Barri Gothic and cross over Via Laietana you can reach Born. This has the best reputation out of all the areas in the old part of Barcelona. An other area that may be worth staying in would be Barceloneta, which is right beside the beach.

We used Oh-Barcelona and were very happy. Got a great apartment in Barceloneta - a great location, right on the beach, so good for the kids, yet within walking distance of Las Ramblas and the metro.

Back