Barcelona V Prague

carina

Hi there, just looking for some advice. I want to go away for a few days in Aug or September (going to NYC in Nov!!). I am torn between the 2 cities above! Anyone got any advice?

Both very good cities to spend a few days. You can't go wrong with either. I prefer Barcelona as there is more to do and am a big Gaudi fan.

I'd go for Barcelona too...much nicer city IMO and plenty to see and do.

Both are fantastic, probably go for Barcelona, food is nicer and lots of Cava about - Prague is fantastic, but I found the grub a bit rough....

I'm heading to Barcelona in a month, so I can only speak of my experience of Prague. Prague has loads of history but it's wrapped up in some much tacky tourism that i would have to say I'd never go back. The food was also less than impressive. If you leave Prague the Czech republic is a beatiful country and a lot cheaper than in the capital.

The architecture in Prague is stunning. But last time I was there, the whole city centre was overrun with tourists. And food average.
Barcelona has lots of street theatre, great restaurants & nightlife, great for walking around the old town & getting lost.
It might be better to visit Prague in the off-season to avoid tourists, but
either way, you're going to have to visit both cities in your lifetime, so flick a coin.

The driving in Prague is very difficult and we found our hotel was in the middle of the red light district!

I would recommend go to Prague in winter, and Barcelona in summer.

Prague in summer is absolutely over-run with tourists and stag parties and hawkers and is really hot. In winter however it is beautiful, peaceful and quiet, maybe with a scattering of snow.

On the other hand I find has a Barcelona much nicer athmosphere in summer - when the port area is open and full of restaurants and bars. The old town is lovely to wander around aswell. Avoid "Las Ramblas" like the plague - its a nasty, dirty, seedy street filled with stray dogs and tramps; unfortunately most guide books inexplicably recommend you see it. There is an open top bus tour which is worth doing - takes you out of the main centre of the city and lets you put the city in perspective.

Avoid "Las Ramblas" like the plague - its a nasty, dirty, seedy street filled with stray dogs and tramps; unfortunately most guide books inexplicably recommend you see it.

Don't agree with you on this Ragazza, but maybe you were unlucky on your visit as I found the Ramblas to be a very pleasant avenue. Prague is nice but I definitely would never tire of Barcelona.

Get yourself a big pitcher of sangria and watch the world go by on the Ramblas. Don't go too mad and end up buying a budgie ( just to set him free) like i did.