Barcelona V Prague

carina

Hi there, just looking for some advice. I want to go away for a few days in Aug or September (going to NYC in Nov!!). I am torn between the 2 cities above! Anyone got any advice?

Both very good cities to spend a few days. You can't go wrong with either. I prefer Barcelona as there is more to do and am a big Gaudi fan.

Both are fantastic, probably go for Barcelona, food is nicer and lots of Cava about - Prague is fantastic, but I found the grub a bit rough....

I'm heading to Barcelona in a month, so I can only speak of my experience of Prague. Prague has loads of history but it's wrapped up in some much tacky tourism that i would have to say I'd never go back. The food was also less than impressive. If you leave Prague the Czech republic is a beatiful country and a lot cheaper than in the capital.

The architecture in Prague is stunning. But last time I was there, the whole city centre was overrun with tourists. And food average.
Barcelona has lots of street theatre, great restaurants & nightlife, great for walking around the old town & getting lost.
It might be better to visit Prague in the off-season to avoid tourists, but
either way, you're going to have to visit both cities in your lifetime, so flick a coin.

The driving in Prague is very difficult and we found our hotel was in the middle of the red light district!

I would recommend go to Prague in winter, and Barcelona in summer.

Prague in summer is absolutely over-run with tourists and stag parties and hawkers and is really hot. In winter however it is beautiful, peaceful and quiet, maybe with a scattering of snow.

On the other hand I find has a Barcelona much nicer athmosphere in summer - when the port area is open and full of restaurants and bars. The old town is lovely to wander around aswell. Avoid "Las Ramblas" like the plague - its a nasty, dirty, seedy street filled with stray dogs and tramps; unfortunately most guide books inexplicably recommend you see it. There is an open top bus tour which is worth doing - takes you out of the main centre of the city and lets you put the city in perspective.

Avoid "Las Ramblas" like the plague - its a nasty, dirty, seedy street filled with stray dogs and tramps; unfortunately most guide books inexplicably recommend you see it.

Don't agree with you on this Ragazza, but maybe you were unlucky on your visit as I found the Ramblas to be a very pleasant avenue. Prague is nice but I definitely would never tire of Barcelona.

Get yourself a big pitcher of sangria and watch the world go by on the Ramblas. Don't go too mad and end up buying a budgie ( just to set him free) like i did.

Back