Barcelona restaurant menus

Westie123

Hello,

Going to barcelona in a few weeks time. I'm wondering if a lot of the restaurant menus are printed in English as well as Catalan/Spanish?
Would a good phrasebook be essential for eating out? Are restaurant staff generally helpful with translating menus etc. Any tips from anyone who has eaten out in Barcelona recently would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Was there in April and had no problems at all. Most menus had English as well as Spanish and Catalan. Some even had German, French, Japanese etc.... Even if the menus don't have English 99% of the staff we encountered did so you will have no problem.

You can download and print a very comprehensive menu decoder for Barcelona from Budget Travel at
[broken link removed]

Ask for the menu in English - "La carta Ingles por favor"
Ask for the bill - "La cuenta (coo-en-tah) por favor"
Ask for the fixed price menu, which is usually great value, 3 courses, 2 choices "El menú del día por favor" (menoo del dee-ah)

I've been to Spain a few times and if memory serves (which, in fairness, it usually doesn't), a lot of menus are in English and most waiting staff speak English too. But at the risk of affending the nationality, I don't find them the friendliest, so whilst they might humour you with a bit of English, I wouldn't expect a big smile at the same time!

And although you didn't ask for recommendations, you've gotta go to this place:

http://www.barceloca.com/dataDetails-302/en-GB/Sikkim-barcelona.aspx

Its menu:
http://www.barceloca.com/restaurantes-detalles/en-GB/38417/.aspx

It's delish. Much cheaper than the touristy places but the quality of food is fab. You'll probably have to get a taxi to it because, even though it's in the centre of things, it's a bit awkward to find.

You can download and print a very comprehensive menu decoder for Barcelona from Budget Travel at
[broken link removed]

Ask for the menu in English - "La carta Ingles por favor"
Ask for the bill - "La cuenta (coo-en-tah) por favor"
Ask for the fixed price menu, which is usually great value, 3 courses, 2 choices "El menú del día por favor" (menoo del dee-ah)
"My hovercraft is full of eels".

Hello

Thanks for all the replies. now that you mention it,
any recommendations for nice restaurants would be very welcome

thanks

Back