Barcelona For new year--Hotels

mister mac

Heading to Barcelona for the new year with a party of 6,started looking at hotels yesterday and most seem to be booked up or 200+ euro per night
Would anyone have any recommendations for a nice city centre hotel for under this price?

Thanks

We stayed in the Apsis Millenni Hotel a couple of weeks ago, it's about 10mins walk from town or there is metro beside it. Room wasn't the biggest but the whole place was very clean & had nice big bathroom. Don't go for the breakfast though - €15 pp for croissants and raw sausages! The website is [broken link removed]
We paid €100 per night for the room approx, but I'm sure this will be hiked up a bit, but it may be worth checking out.

We stayed in Hesperia Presidente, close to all the shops and a short taxi ride to everywhere. Otherwise there are hop on hop off busses which stop at all the tourist attractions and are very cheap. It's a really lovely hotel with huge rooms, huge showers and super king size beds. It cost roughly 100 a night per room at Halloween. There were 6 in our party also and they put us in rooms close to one another. Hotel details are on trip advisor. Wish I was you!

Off topic but word of warning....credit card fraud seems to be rife in Barcelona (happened to us) so I'd take out cash for future visits.

A lot of the apartment rentals (including the one I referred to above) wanted payment in cash... I didn;t ask why!

Off topic but word of warning....credit card fraud seems to be rife in Barcelona (happened to us) so I'd take out cash for future visits.

Can you elaborate on this liteweight? I've been living in Barcelona for over a year now and haven't ran into any problems with my credit card here so far. You need to present ID for just about all CC transactions in Spain which tends to reduce the possibility of fraud.

I used my CC for most transactions in Barcelona, but I wasn't once asked for ID.

However they did get me to use the pin and then sign docket.

I used my CC for most transactions in Barcelona, but I wasn't once asked for ID.

However they did get me to use the pin and then sign docket.

That's interesting. Over the last year I think that I've been asked for ID everywhere when using my CC, except in a local restaurant maybe. I wouldn't be hanging around the touristy spots that much though so maybe they've got different rules depending on the clientele?

Can you elaborate on this liteweight? I've been living in Barcelona for over a year now and haven't ran into any problems with my credit card here so far. You need to present ID for just about all CC transactions in Spain which tends to reduce the possibility of fraud.

When we were in Barcelona last October, we used cc and were never asked for ID or a pin. The day after we used the card, it was used fraudently by 'someone'. When we came home we heard Gerry Ryan warning people about cc fraud in Barcelona. Apparently it's one of his pet topics (pity I didn't hear it before I went :mad:) We did a google search o it and found a number of complaints about the same thing. One person said the only place they had used the card was in a high class restaurant. Coincidentally (?), we went to this restaurant also.

Hi,

I stayed in the Barcelo Hotel Sants (very modern) a few years ago and although it wasn't in the prettiest of areas it was perfect because it's directly above the central station and metro so you were only minutes from everything.

http://www.bchoteles.com/sants_in.htm

Didn't have any CC fraud trouble but was almost done by a smooth operator on the Ramblas trying to nick my card at an ATM, the place is full of them apparently.

A fantastic city, though, loved it. Enjoy your trip.

I stayed at Hotel Pere IV in October which is about 3/4 minutes walk from Bogatell metro station which is to the east of the main city centre. It is a fairly nice hotel but ensure to book through a travel website instead of the hotel's website; much less expensive; I used www.alpharooms.com. It has a fantastic breakfast buffet in the mornings; topped any other European hotel I have ever stayed in. The room I stayed in was a bit on the small side but still perfectly adequate and clean.

The only real downside is the location. It is away from the city centre but as I mentioned above, it is close to a metro station which brings you quickly to other parts of the city. The hotel is also within easy walking distance (about 10 minutes) of Port Olympic and the beach. The local neighbourhood does look a bit dodgy but definitely perfectly safe; apparently you are a hell of a lot more likely to be robbed in the city centre area where most tourists congregate.

I've stayed in the Balmes Hotel and know 3 or 4 other groups that have stayed there..its only around 10 mins walk from the centre (Ramblas) and it works out at about 100 euro a nite for the room

There's many great hotels there (stayed in the aparthotel mariano cubi myself which was very nice), but as hotels can pretty much rate themselves I'd recommend checking tripadvisor before you book. I originally found a 4 star rated hotel, but after reading reviews it turned out to be a dive, barely 1 star according to most visitors. I'm sure there's only a few of these but it's just something to be aware of!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,im gonna check out all of your hotels and try and get something booked later on
Thanks also for the cc scam warning,we will have to be on our guard.

When one says 100e for a room ,is this o.k. for 2 or 4 people , that would be 50e or 25e per person.
Or is only one person per room allowed.
With credit card ,i`d only use it to withdraw money at atm .....for purchases,restaurants,shops etc use cash

Try the HCC Montblanc. Excellent location. Nice clean rooms. Stayed there last year and it was perfect. Booked through [broken link removed] and they were very helpful - we had to make a few changes to the booking and they sorted us out nicely.

H10 Montcada about 5 mins from La Ramblas - excellent for the price and location.

Enjoy Barca!
Roy

Another thumbs up for Hesperia Presidente, location not the best but still good bang for buck.

Like people said, be very careful with any belongings in Barcelona. Don't carry any valuables and only bring the cash that you need.

Back