Banned Toothpaste and handwash

somebody told me their was a warning on antibacterial products here in the papers last week. Anyone know anything about this ?????

It is the substance "triclosan".Most EU consumer organisations have warned of it.And mediciners as well.It is not only contained in the cleaning products you mentioned but also in surfaces like cutting boards,kitchen counters ,fridges etc..Two problems:first there is the allergic problem.One might not have an allergy but can develope one.And exchanging the kitchen once you can't touch it anymore is a problem.The second:this substance is causing bacterias to become immune to anti-biotics that are used in medicine.
And there is a third problem as well:How to recycle/dump these products.They are hazardous waste-though I am not sure about the Irish legeslation,propably doesn't exist .
Making up with antibiotics for a lack of hygiene is an idiotic way to stay healthy.Take penecillium and stop washing because it is cheaper?
The story of triclosan is a typical US-american one.When 50% of the population doesn't understand the meaning of hygiene they have to be forcefed to avoid worse...

Thanks for that,i will peruse the web for more info, i think my girlfriend is already suffering symptoms from over exposure of this chemical as she has ot gone near the kitchen or cooing utensils for months.

If they are not doing anything about it don't just moan about it, go bother them and demand.

[broken link removed]

Even the FDA/WHO had reservations about triclosan.Before they allowed it.Check their homepages.Only with the argument that in "underdeveloped societies" it might do more good than harm.With "underdeveloped societys" they meant in the USA in particular.Due to the high illiteracy there they have a permanent hygiene problem.People who can't read and write do not understand hygiene advises.These "underdogs"(no insult!) are usually employed in the food and catering industry.Especially in the abattoirs and fast food restaurants.So they have to be force-fed.Sad but true.The same goes for toothpaste.People who do not understand mouth hygiene are force-fed to save money on the health system.Once the substance (triclosan) had been aproved by the FDA as a "treatment for all" the market to the world was opened.
In Irland we have a similar problem,the drinking water is flouridated ......our illiteracy rate is not much better than in the USA.
heinbloed

I've been thinking about buying chemical free or "safer" toiletries etc for a while now but I may just go and do it now. Can anyone recommend a make, where to buy it from (preferable online) and how much they are?

Cheers,

Geegee

Try the health food shop for detergents/washing powder and for personal care the "Body Shop",Tesco has some as well.And to cut down on the amount think in the long term,use rain water.It makes cleaning cheaper in general due to it's softness.
heinbloed

And Boots for the only Non Fluoride toothpaste I could find, I have enough Fluoride in my system from being force medicated by the Irish Government - but thats probably a rant for another thread!

I have started buying organic toothpaste which does not contain fluoride for my family and I. We have a balanced diet and brush twice daily so do we need fluoride?Am I exposing my children to tooth decay by ommitting the fluoride?

Geegee said:
I have started buying organic toothpaste which does not contain fluoride for my family and I. We have a balanced diet and brush twice daily so do we need fluoride?Am I exposing my children to tooth decay by ommitting the fluoride?

What brand are you using? Have you tried Euthymol which is the only fluroide free toothpaste that I can find in supermarkets. I've seen a few child dental recommendations that suggest toddlers should never use a fluoride toothpaste but none of the children's toothpaste formulations that I can see are fluroide free - and my kid doesn't like the taste of Euthymol.

The Lush Shop does deoderants and soaps etc that are chemical free. There's one near Trinity College in Dublin, and I've seen one in London and Edinburgh. They seem to do very well, so there must be a lot of people like yourself trying to steer away from the controversial stuff.

I bought some Miessence organic toothpaste off eBay. It took my daughter some time to acquire the taste but is alright now.