Bank's solicitor sent Financial info to brother - grounds for a case?

dromdrom

Hi
I am currently assisting someone who has got into difficulty with one of the main banks . They wrote to the banks solicitors giving me authorisation to engage with them on the case. Without going into the full details the banks solicitor sent a demand letter to the persons brother (who happens to have the same first name as myself).This has caused unbelievable embarressment to the individual concerned and has led to a level of mistrust between the siblings. Despite their being no immediate financial loss I am wondering would it be possible to bring the bank to task for this and if so what could they be sued for?

When pushed on it they have simply said "sorry it was human error"

No they have confirmed that he is not in any way connected with the credit facility.They have said that they took my first name and the individuals last name and sent the letter to the address originally on the credit facility (which happens to be in the same townland as the brother). Assuming that they are telling the truth (and I have some doubhts) it would appear to a mistake albeit one that has had a cathostrophic impact on the person who's privacy has been breached.

I think you should be more focussed on how to deal with the debt. In the long term, there was every chance of the brother finding out anyway. I appreciate that there has been a breach of privacy but, if there is any suggestion that perhaps that could be used by the debtor to try and write down, or write off the debt, that is very wishful thinking.

mf

Agreed payment plan has been put on place and I intentionally left this until this had occurred. I view this completely seperate and not as some means of leverage. The debt is accepted and will be paid.

This is is a clear breach of the Data Protection Act based on what you have said,

If the Bank have not already contacted the Data Protection Commissioner they may be guilty of an offence.

This looks actionable.