Bank Statement 2 days in Advance

roker

I have just received a mini statement from the ATM today 22nd and note that there is a cheque deducted for €184.00 for the 24th. I know that the cheque has to be paid and fortunately there is sufficient funds to cover it, but is this not pushing automated banking to the limit going to the future.

I don't see how that could happen..That is really very strange.
Are you sure you didn't issue another cheque for the same amount in the past
that has only recently been cashed?
Check the cheque number.

No other cheques written, I do not write many cheques, the amount was actual €184.65 which is correct. What is also strange, is that I purchased an item with my Lazer card for €220 on the 21st and this has not been deducted.

Banks pay cheques when they are presented. A post-dated cheque is not guaranteed to be paid at the later date by the bank. I don't think the bank has any obligation to hold post dated cheques till the required date, so it is fortunate that the money was there to pay it.

Could the person getting cheque change date in on with a biro say change the 24 to 20.
... A post-dated cheque is not guaranteed to be paid at the later date by the bank. I don't think the bank has any obligation to hold post dated cheques till the required date, so it is fortunate that the money was there to pay it.

OP never mentioned anything about post-dated cheques. The point of his post is that a statement produced on the 22nd included a transaction dated 24th (in the future) rather than transactions (and a balance) up to the 22nd.

This often happens.

It is just a timing thing as to when the cheque appears on the statement.

If it was not on the mini statement on the Saturday, the funds in the account would still be allocated against it and available funds would be reduced accordingly.

We have business banking online and I regularly see over a weekend what is due to be debited on the following Monday.

Thanks for clarifying that Mathepack. The cheque was written and dated 14th.
Is this another sneaky bank trick to catch us out?

A 'mini-statement' is not a statement per se. The cheque in question is due to be posted to your account on Mon 24 Aug. Because the bank have sight of it, they have updated your account in respect on this in-flight transaction. Transactions are shown on the account for business days only. Some ATM and POS transactions could, for a brief period of time, be shown against a non-business day, but that would, over time, be resolved to show the amount against a business day.

Thanks, the bank is PTSB. But the money was deducted from my account, next time it happens with the mini statement I will compare it on line.

Banks and other financial institutions often run batch jobs on their systems for the whole weekend on a Friday night.

For example On Friday all automated transactions which are due to occur on night of Saturday and Sunday can be run together in one job on the Friday night.

To do this they can roll their system date forward to the next working day (in this to case monday the 24th)

This is often done when a system upgrade or change is due to happen during the weekend - or in some cases to remove the need to have IT staff working over the weekend.

It can lead to some strange data if a statement is requested during the weekend.

In your case the cheque was probably input into the system with an effective date of 24th - then the system date was probably changed to the 24th (monday) on the 22nd before you requested your statement.

all the clearing banks' system update on a Friday night with the next update being the following Monday night.

what you see going out of your account on a Monday morning [cheques, direct debits, standing orders but not ATM withdrawals] has effectively been ringfenced off since the Friday night update