Bank of Ireland wouldn't accept cash lodgement

Capt

Hello,

I made a trip from Ireland to Northern Ireland to purchase a car. I then needed to deposit €4,000 in cash into my Bank of Ireland account in order to have enough money to pay for the car.

When I went into the branch which is in Northern Ireland they said they would not accept euro.
I don't understand why they wouldn't accept the cash. I have deposited a similar amount of euro into a bank in England without any trouble.
They would not give me any explanation and I was told to go to a post office or somewhere like Thomas Cook.
I was forced to change the money in Thomas Cook where I got ripped off with an exchange rate of 1.366900. €4,000 = £2,926.
Anyone know why BOI wont accept cash lodgement. Feel like I was fobbed off!

Your post is not clear, as I read it you wanted to lodge Euro into a bank in Northern Ireland for lodgment to an account in a Bank of Ireland branch southern Ireland...?

Banks are only obliged to handle their own cash currency, in your case in N.I. that is sterling, they also have anti money laundering criteria, I know it seems small to you but the controls are in place to protect everybody.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I wanted to lodge euros into my account. Both banks are Bank of Ireland and I am with Bank of Ireland for years.

I have been in contact with Bank of Ireland and there response was "Some of our branches operate cashless days where it is not possible to lodge funds to your account at our cash desk" This was not the case in this particular branch.

Anyway I'm just a bit upset because I lost a lot of money. Will be better prepared in the future...