Bank of Ireland C.A fees

sebadoh

I have a Bank of Ireland current and have been keeping the balance above €3000 to avial of free fees. I had a direct debit due to come out on April 17 so decided to lodge some money to ensure the balance stayed above €3000, however the direct debit was taken by EBS 2 days earlier than normal resulting in my balance going below the limit for 1 day. I received a letter on Friday giving me a breakdown of full fees for the period. Do have any grounds to avoid the fees when I ring them to complain?

BOI introduced fees for everyone regardless of the 3000e balance since last July if I remember correctly so you will have been charged fees regardless of your balance.

Unfortunately because your balance did go below 3000 BOI will charge you the fees. It is not the banks fault that the DD was taken early so you won't be able to get a refund out of them. However EBS are only allowed to take the DD on the date which they notified you of. So if they have taken the amount 2 days early then they are in breach of SEPA DD rules. If you complain to them they should refund you the amount of the fees.

Thanks, I put a lot of effort into keeping above the €3,000 threshold so am very unhappy at being caught like this. I will look at other banks with reasonable fees.

Firstly, you now have to pay maintenance fees with BoI even if the balance drops below 3,000 EUR.

Worth a try but banks don't always pay out on consequential losses.