Bank of Ireland ATMs paying out over overdraft limit

Deiseblue

Bank of Ireland have banished the Budget blues for some - ATM's in Talbot Street and the IFSC have being paying out on the double !

Don't rush out , Brinks have pulled the plug on both.

Thought paying out on the double in the IFSC would be a case of coals to Newcastle ?

Does anyone know the implications of people going overdrawn in Bank of Ireland as a result of taking cash out?

What additional interest applies?

It is treated as a overdraft, and follows the standard rules. To be honest it is nothing new, just the press getting excited.

Wow.. will people be able to pay this back?
Anyone know how much extra was given out?
How long will people get to pay it back?
I wasn't one of them ,by the way,but I can just imagine some people being desperate and getting this money,and now face even more debt..not too clever me thinks!

[broken link removed]

CUSTOMER NOTICE - IT ISSUE UPDATE

08 December 2010

Bank of Ireland confirms that due to a technical issue yesterday we experienced connectivity issues between some customer systems. This resulted in restrictions yesterday for some Laser and ATM users and limited service on our telephone and online banking system. Credit cards were unaffected.
MEDIA STATEMENT
Bank of Ireland confirms that due to a technical issue yesterday we experienced connectivity issues between some customer systems. This resulted in restrictions yesterday for some Laser and ATM users and limited service on our telephone and online banking system. Credit cards were unaffected.
Our technical teams in partnership with our IT partner, HP, engineers from BT and IBM have identified the issue and we can confirm that ATM and Laser functionality is now fully restored. Other affected systems such as our online banking services are currently being brought online as a priority.
We wish to reassure customers that all core processing systems operated normally during the affected period. We can confirm that normal processing of items such as direct debits, standing orders and international payments were unaffected.
Whilst the majority of our cardholders who required cash at an ATM or made purchases using Laser yesterday were accommodated, we wish to apologise to those customers who may have had a transaction declined or received less cash than they required.
We can confirm that a small minority of customers withdrew funds in excess of their available balance which has created an unauthorised overdraft position for them for which they are liable. For customers who became inadvertently overdrawn Bank of Ireland will on this occasion refund any overlimit fees applied in respect of transactions conducted during the affected period and will also allow an interest free period for the amount involved.

Really taking out cash which created an unauthorised overdraft is much the same as writing a cheque with the same result.

I recall a conversation with my local TSB branch, I wanted the machine to stop paying if there were insufficient funds, and the answer was they could not do it, so I would overdraw on my account. Good business for them to let me pay overdraft fees