Bank disputed direct debit with finance company - am I liable?

arbitron

I purchased goods from a well-known Irish store several years ago and took up an interest free payment plan, which was through a large UK finance company, for ca. €50 per month. 6 months ago, I noticed the usual payment had not come out of our account. I called the bank the following day and was told that the direct debit had not been presented by the finance company.

Thinking that the payments had ended, I called the finance company and they confirmed that all payments had been successfully made and that our account was settled. I asked them to send me a letter confirming this, which they did and which I have retained. Today, I received a call from the finance company who claim that my bank requested a chargeback on my behalf, which the finance company gave them. The finance company now want me to pay them the money owed.

I paid every instalment on time and in full by DD. I received no refund from the bank and have statements to show this. I called both bank and finance company the day after my DD was due to make sure there was no issue and they both assured me there was none. I received a letter from the finance company confirming that my account was clear. And that was over 6 months ago!

I asked the finance company to take up their dispute with the bank but they claim they are legally prohibited from contacting the bank about this. They also claim that they are not in dispute with my bank as the direct debit guarantee gives the bank an automatic refund. I asked for the correspondence between them and my bank and was told a data access fee would be levied. I have asked the finance company to freeze my account (so my credit rating will not be affected) and to issue me letters with a full account statement and explanation of their position. They have escalated it to their complaints department.

If I owed the money, I would pay on the spot. I am annoyed that I am receiving calls 6 months later for an action that my bank allegedly took independently of me and that I didn't even receive the benefit of. I will be contacting my bank to investigate.

Apart from complaining to both bank and finance company, is there anything I should do? It is not much money overall, but I am frustrated that my efforts 6 months ago to ensure that the account was settled have been wasted and that my bank apparently asked for a chargeback without my knowledge. The attitude of the finance company is another story.

Last edited:
Your bank statements will show you paid and that you did not receive any refund.

Back