Bank debits account without permission

E

Emau

In November I canceled all my direct debits to make payments when it suits me as my income is not regular and my bank charges high fees when direct debits can't go through. I did that with my mortgage payment as well.
In December the bank made a mess of my account. Taking the mortgage payment of, lodging it back, taking it of again while as I wasn't aware of it I made a laser payment as well.
Last Wednesday the bank called that they lodged it once to much and they are going to debit my account. I said no because I'm not sure what happened and if they are right I would be in financial problems paying my other bills.
They took it off anyway.
My questions is are they allowed to do that without my permission? The woman I spoke to was very aggressive over the phone and no one called back ever since.
Hope someone knows if I have any rights here?

Thats awful..well i did something simular & the bank(Nib) rang me last week & said one of your accounts is €3(yes) over the overdraft so i said fine take it out of my other a/c(i knew the was about €50 in that one) & they said No were not allowed you have to come into the Bank or use e-Banking to do it yourself so i said Fine.

Hi Emau,

The quick answer is absolutely not.

If you cancel a direct debit and a payment is subsequently made by the bank in error, they must refund you under the rules of the direct debit scheme. They then have to sort out the mess themselves.

If you cancel a direct debit and a payment is subsequently made by the bank in error, they must refund you under the rules of the direct debit scheme.
That will be news to most banks. They will tell you tough and to take it up with the DD company.

usually a bank will not let you cancel a direct debit instruction for a mortgage so are you are sure they did cancel it in the first place ? that said, your permission is needed to debit your account

Just an update for everybody. Apparently the bank is 'allowed' to debit an account whenever they want to. I brought it to the Financial Adviser authority, who gave me a phone number from the mortgage provider who gave me another phone number and so on....
BOI did credited the payment once to many. If you see my statement you'll laugh, about 8 times you'll see the same amount going back and forth. So I do owe the bank the money however buy debiting my account they brought me in financial problems on an already tight budget due to building our house. So that's a lesson learned. Banks are allowed to do as they please.

Back