Bank complaint

J

Jimbob2

I know of someone who would like to know what to do next. Let's call her Joan D. Smith.

A regular cheque is to be sent to her current account each month. The first was rejected by the branch in question as it was addressed to Deirdre Smith and not Joan D. Smith as is the name on the account. The manager simply shrugged saying there was nothing to be done despite the fact that he knows her and she has been a customer of the same branch for 30 years.

Seperately she went into a different branch of the same bank, closer to where she lives and asked could she switch branches given that this one is closer to home. She was told that there was no point in switching and not to bother, but was then told that it would be a different matter if say one of her children was seeking a mortgage.

Assuming her first port of call should be to complain directly to the bank itself, if she's not happy with the response she gets can she take it further and to whom should she complain?

Hi,
Having worked in one of the major retail banks for a year the manager was right not to lodge or accept the cheque made out in a different person's name. The name on the cheque must match the account in question. I would be surprised if any bank accepted a cheque to your account made out to someone else. As far as I can see there is no reason for complaint here. The bank manager was following procedure (and most probably the law).
Regarding the switching of branches in general you can do almost anything in a branch other than your own. I am not sure what they meant by if your children want a mortgage. I got a mortgage from a completely different bank to my parents and myself (all other accounts with bank I worked in). They should have switched your friends accounts though if that is what they wanted to do even if it makes no difference. I would have another word with the manager regarding this.

You can't go straight to the financial ombudsman with a complain you must exhaust the Bank in questions complaints procedure before their office is approached. That aside, I don't think you have a complaint tbh.

I know of someone who would like to know what to do next. Let's call her Joan D. Smith.

A regular cheque is to be sent to her current account each month. The first was rejected by the branch in question as it was addressed to Deirdre Smith and not Joan D. Smith as is the name on the account. The manager simply shrugged saying there was nothing to be done despite the fact that he knows her and she has been a customer of the same branch for 30 years.
Does the D stand for Deirdre? Did she have any ID confirming her full name?

Back