Bank charges

Just the One

I am with AIB and they have juct charged me a facility fee of €25.39 for having an overdraft facility in place. They have also charged me €30 stamp duty on a credit card.

Is there anyway of getting this money back?

What happened to free banking?

If I threatened to leave the bank would they give it back to me.

Stamp duty on credit cards is a Govt. tax and not a bank charge. €25.39 facility fee for your o/d - only trhing you can do is see if you can get cheaper elsewhere - also bear in mind that you pay interest on your o/d too.

'Free' banking usually relates to transaction charges.

I am with AIB and they have juct charged me a facility fee of €25.39 for having an overdraft facility in place. They have also charged me €30 stamp duty on a credit card.

Is there anyway of getting this money back?

What happened to free banking?

If I threatened to leave the bank would they give it back to me.

They won't give you back the stamp duty because they are collecting it on behalf of the government - it's not negotiable. You might be able to negotiate on the facility fee alright - depends on much they value your business.

Last edited:
Stamp duty on credit cards is a Govt. tax and not a bank charge. €25.39 facility fee for your o/d - only trhing you can do is see if you can get cheaper elsewhere - also bear in mind that you pay interest on your o/d too.

'Free' banking usually relates to transaction charges.

I reckon that I have not used the O/D facility in about 2 years.

some banks did return the credit card fee providing you spent a certain amount on the card per year, I know Ulster used to do it, not sure if they still do

Free Banking refers to accounts that are maintained in credit and hold a minimum balance. You mention that you haven't used the overdraft in 2 years. Then cancel the facility immediately, tell the Bank and they will refund you. Just bear in mind that if you go overdrawn you will be charged penaly interest which will probably exceed the overdraft charge. I have no grest love for Banks but they are entitled to make a profit. The problem they have is to try and maintain a service and set of charges which are commonplace throughout Europe.

I'm with PTSB and have free banking for years. I use to have an OD facililty and when I was told it would cost €20 I cancelled. Of course I needed the facility the follwing month for the first time in 3 years so took the hit - twas €10 btw.

The gov charges annoy me no end but nothing can be done.

Free Banking refers to accounts that are maintained in credit and hold a minimum balance. QUOTE]

Not really. Free banking means free transactions - ATM, Laser, cheques etc. You can still have an overdraft & not pay transaction charges (as I do) but you do pay the facility fee & interest accordingly.

Back