bank charges on free bank account

priscilla

Hi, I have an ulsterbank current account which is free for most transactions and only incurs charges if I overdraw without prior arrangement. About 10 days ago I received notification of interest that was to be debited from my account on the 7th nov for the sum of 93.94 euro. I contacted the bank and the bank clerk expressed surprise at the charges and told me to bring the statements in and she would look into it. As I was not overdrawn for the period that was to be charged I figured the charges would not be debited but to my disgust I have just noticed the sum debited from my account despite speaking with the bank and bringing in the statements prior to when the charges were due.
I will speak to the bank on monday but has anyone else had similar experiences, I'm getting quite paranoid about unauthorised withdrawals after having an extra 400 euro debited from an atm and a hotel charging an extra 680 euro which was already paid recently.

Hi Priscilla

Do you lodge cheques to this account?

A cheque appears on your statement the day you lodge it, but you don't get credit for around 2 working days, I think. If you make a withdrawal during that period you can be overdrawn.

Brendan

Hi Brendan

Yes I do lodge cheques into that account but I've just looked over the month in question and on two occasions when funds were running low I transfered cash from a saving account online with the same bank, the money in the other account had been cleared so the transfered balances showed up straight away.

I have occasionally become overdrawn on this account due to cheques and in those circumstances I was debited 4.75euro I think per transaction but I've been keeping an eye out so the account dosen't get overdrawn. It just seems all very strange, have charges changed since the banking crisis happened?.

With some of the free banking deals, once you overdraw at all, the free deal is off for that quarter

Just checked the account once more and no I wasn't overdrawn during the past 4 months.

Just talked to the bank, they said they had to prceed with the withdrawal once the letter was issued but they would credit it back to my account this week.

Thanks for the feedback, Priscilla.