Bank account not used for a few years

Moral Ethos

I was down at the parents place the other day and they gave me some post that was there for me. There was a bank statement for an old AIB account I had forgotten about. It is overdrawn by around €15.

If I lodge say €20 to this account can I then continue to use it or will the bank then close the account and send back the €5?

I would like to use the account as I still cannot get an account in any other high street bank after Halifax and Postbank have pulled the plug.

You shouldn't have a problem re-using it - I had an old EBS account that I had opened over 12 years ago when I was saving to buy my house and hadn't used in 10 years. They kept sending me letters asking if I would close it and eventually I went in and lodged some cash into it and started using it to save regularly.

Normally it would be fine. The only issue is that it has been overdrawn for a long time and they may have written off the balance and marked the account as a bad debt. If they haven't - I'm sure they would be delighted to get their €15 back!

Yeah, it should be. That sounds like a reminder to clear the €15