Bangkok City - Where To Stay

Grapes

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
We're just staying 1 night in the centre

It's expensive (in Thai terms) but the Penninsula is one of the best hotels in the world and costs about the same as a night in Jury's here.

I stayed in the Radisson in Bangkok. Great hotel & 3nts there cost around the same as one night in a Radisson elsewhere. It's not quite in the centre but taxis are cheap & plentiful.
www.asiarooms.com is a good site to find a good deal.

WE arrived in the airport without accommodation and just booked it there and then! Ended up staying in the Best Western for 25 dollars each for the night! It was a suite!!

Highly recommend the Westin Grand Sukhumvit. stayed there twice and can't fault it. Very handy for the skytrain (just outside the door!!)

what is the purpose of your visit? shopping or sightseeing or both??
its a massive city, but if you know what you want to do there and stay nearby it can save you a lot of time and hassle.

i was there recently for 3 nights and stayed in siam @ siam design hotel. really nice hotel, however i picked it because of its central location near siam square, so it was pretty much equidistant to most shopping & sightseeing areas.

was there twice before and stayed in the sukhimivit area but found it too far out of the way from most things i wanted to see & do.

ps. use asiarooms.com it seems to have the cheapest rates for bangkok hotels.

Highly recommend the Westin Grand Sukhumvit. stayed there twice and can't fault it. Very handy for the skytrain (just outside the door!!)

I'll second that recommendation. It's a lovely hotel in a very handy location, and not expensive to boot.

Completely agree with the above. I've stayed there a few times now and can't fault it. Although the Banyan Tree Hotel is fantastic as well it's not in the tourist area but they have one of the best restaurants Vertigo Grill and Moon Bar which is at the top of the hotel outside and you have the city on one side and the river on the other - nice way to spend an evening :)

Oriental Hotel wins hands down, was there on honeymoon and it was amazing!! As always check out trip advisor

I stayed in the Amari Atrium a few years back; probably one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Only downside is that it is a bit removed from the main city centre (ok there is no real city centre in Bangkok but I mean all the main shopping/nightlife areas). Taxis are dirt cheap anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem

Stayed in a hotel in Pattaya for the second week which was an asbolute dive in comparison.

Back