Ballyroan, Co. Laois

fbmpw

Looking at buying a house in ballyroan in Laois anyone no anything about the area

Not from there myself, live a few parishes over. It's a typical rural midlands village. Take their football seriously...

You are pretty close to Portlaoise and the motorway (7/10 mins) I'd guess...

My only concern would be the entry into the small town mentality if you are a blow in. By the way - I'd have the same concern of moving into virtually any small village in Laois (or any other county for that matter)...
If thats not too much of an issue/concern for you it's a grand spot.

What type of house you thinking of going for??

There is a development in Glenbrook Ballyroan . Timber framed houses going to take a look this weekend

Pass through Ballyroan frequently. I mean this with all sincerity when I state that I wouldn't live in Ballyroan even If I got the house free. There is nothing there. The village is drab...its like a land that time forgot. Have a look at Abbeyleix instead...much much better.

I was talking to someone recently about housing developments in Abbeyleix; it's a nice town alright but the new housing there is over priced and agents are having problems shifting units there! You'll still have to drive to Portlaoise for all your shopping etc....

There a lot of services in for planning on this up and coming village. If you like the quite life its the same as any other village contray to previous posters view. Location is its key. Houses cheaper there than towns which are close buy. Probably a nice area to bring up kids. But it is very quite!

Looking at buying a house in ballyroan in Laois anyone no anything about the area
Where are you moving from? If you've been living in Dublin City Centre (say) then I would agree with Carpenter about moving somewhere bigger like Abbeyleix, but it's all down to what you want. If quiet town life is for you I would definitely go for Ballyroan -- contrary to what other posters have said it's a lovely little town -- if a lovely little town is what you want. "Ballyroan Gaels" are the current county champions so yes they do take their football seriously. And if you're a Dub you'll like their team colours... [broken link removed]

Living in Dublin at the moment but im from a town of about 5000 population. Just got engaged so looking for a family home and I Like GAA. Went to view the houses and seems like a nice place, my aprting days are over anyway so the nice quite life will suit me fine, plus Dublin is not far I came down in one hour. Portlaoise seems to have alot of services also. The mjor plus I think is how central you are to everything plus the houses are good value there. Thanks for all your comments

Back