Ballymoney, Co Wexford

Pixied

Hi

Does anyone know what this area is like to live in?

Esp in terms of the following:

- Good schools/access to schools
- Good welcoming community spirit
- What's the commute like to Leopardstown?
- Any other nearby area's that you might also recommend to live in?
- Safe?
- Recommend some housing estates?
- Activities for kids? ie is there a local active gaa club etc..?

One last thing- is Ballymoney just a summer haven or would it be a good place to live all year around?

Thanks a mill in advance!!
Pix :)

hi,

I live in Ballymoney Village. There is a good National School on Tara Hill- five minutes drive away, also Gorey has one of the biggest secondary schools in the country. The commute to Loughlinstown takes 45-50 minutes with regular traffic, in the summer it takes longer to get down, particularly Friday evenings- your still looking at tops an hour.

The community is great, I moved down from Dublin three years ago and always feel welcome.

Gorey is 5 minutes drive, has a rugby club with a great underage scene, also loads of GGA clubs etc,

I would recommend Ballymoney ll year round- proberbly prefer it in the winter when all the "tourists" go home!!

Ballymoney is a lovely place to live (more so in winter when the hoarding millions go home) as mooners says everything you are looking for is close by - there is now a bus service "gorey links" stops outside the Tara Vale, if you dont want to drive everywhere. The beach is walking distance from anywhere in Ballymoney and i have been known to walk / cycle into gorey or courtown. There are three developments in Ballymoney - the one that appears to have the most residents all year round is "The Village" the white dormers beside the post office.

Thanks for the info- really appreciated..
I was afraid no one was going to reply!!

What's it like for the adults of the family moving there? Is there much of a social life? Any clubs, societies, good pubs, restaurants etc..? Or is it very quiet?

Does the summer crowd make the villlage congested/bring in any trouble or is it just really families relaxing?

You both seem pretty happy there, is there any drawbacks to living there?

Cheers again!!!! :):)

You have Seafield Hotel in the village, one of the best Spa Hotels I have being in- the membership for the gym/ spa is expensive but proberbly worth it in the winter- bar food is excellent here as well as the full restaurant menu. There is always a great buzz in the hotel, summer and winter, as they are always doing deals on the back of the Irish Times etc.

There are two pubs within walking distance of the village- The Tara Vale and The Orphan Girl. Both do food and are good craic all year round.

You are only 5 minutes drive form Gorey which has loads of restaurants- and Marlfield House, our favorite, is very close.

The village is tiny with only Cullens shop (which sells everything) so it dosn't really get congested per say during the summer- it is all families so the atmosphere is excellent. You will find property prices are more expensive than Courtown or Riverchapel which does dictate the type of crowd.

Best of luck with your search!

On the subject of commuting to Leopordstown, my husband used to drive from Gorey to that area in about an hour. I wouldn't rely on public transport as the trains are few and far between, buses are a bit more regular but usually packed during "rush hour".

It's a beautiful area, one of my favourite drives is from Courtown and up Tara Hill, I spent ages on those roads when I lived in the area...granted I got lost most of the time but it was always a pleasant sort of lost.

Was in Courtown last night, a lot of building going on but the essence of the place is still the same.

We loved it all year round, specially in September when it got quiet again.

Last edited:
You have Seafield Hotel in the village, one of the best Spa Hotels I have being in- the membership for the gym/ spa is expensive but proberbly worth it in the winter- bar food is excellent here as well as the full restaurant menu. There is always a great buzz in the hotel, summer and winter, as they are always doing deals on the back of the Irish Times etc.

There are two pubs within walking distance of the village- The Tara Vale and The Orphan Girl. Both do food and are good craic all year round.

You are only 5 minutes drive form Gorey which has loads of restaurants- and Marlfield House, our favorite, is very close.

The village is tiny with only Cullens shop (which sells everything) so it dosn't really get congested per say during the summer- it is all families so the atmosphere is excellent. You will find property prices are more expensive than Courtown or Riverchapel which does dictate the type of crowd.

Best of luck with your search!

OMG.THATS GREAT.WE WILL MOST PROBABLY BE RELOCATING THERE ALSO.as for the sea view hotel.my hub will be starting work there which is why we are moving back to ireland.I dont drive so is there anything within walking distance ?

Hi

Just checking if anybody could recommend public transport links between Dublin and Ballymoney Wexford. I work in Dublin full time at the moment but I'm looking to retire to the area in the future. I've identified a property near the Tara Glen golf course (I'm a non driver and have no desire to get a car). I see other Posters have recommended Goreylinks bus service but is there a service direct from Dublin to Ballymoney? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back