Ballyfermot, Inchicore or Tallaght?

bluebug33

Hello all,

my sister and I are looking to buy a 2 bed house / apartment within reasonable distance of Dublin city centre, on the South / West side, with a budget of €350,000 (plus stamp duty)

In terms of public transport, affordability, and proximity to the city we keep coming back three locations - Inchicore, Ballyfermot and Tallaght. We don't plan on living there permenantly, but at least for the next 3 - 5 years.

None would be my ideal choice, but I keep coming back to Inchicore (Gated apartments) as the best option.

Any opinions? I don't know Tallaght, but thought the Luas would be a bonus in terms of transport. Ballyfermot (the Inchicore end of it) may not be too bad

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
bluebug33

Tallaght is a big place and the Luas is only convenient there if you're living close to the terminus. No park and ride facility either, people are parking in the Square but that won't continue to be free for much longer from what I've heard.
There are lots of buses going into the city centre.
As I said, Tallaght is a big place and stretches from the M50 exit right up to Citywest. My friend lives at the Templeogue end and it takes her 25 minutes to get into work in the city centre in her car. Incidentally, the house she bought has increased hugely in value and wouldn't come under the 350,000 mark.
You will get stuck in traffic further up in Tallaght though, the N81 can be a nightmare.
I don't know Ballyfermot or Inchicore well enough to comment.

Compared to Ballyfermot and Inchicore, Tallaght is a good distance from Dublin City Centre, at a guess between 7 - 12 miles depending where in Tallaght you are, while Inchicore would be around 3 -5 and Ballyfermot roughly the same.

You might get somewhere in Cabra for that amount. Between 2 and 3 miles from the city centre depending on which part you're in. Pretty settled and safe and a good bus service.

Why not widen your search?
It sounds like you don't like any of these areas!
And Tallaght in particular is so far from town!
What are your criteria for choosing an area?

The main criteria are:
*affordability (350,00 max,- no extra cash available for major renovations i.e. rewiring and plumbing, so ideally in walk - in condition (we're happy to work on redecoration etc)

*relatively easy access to city centre - especially via public transportation. (no parking at work). I don't mind the bus

*ideally in South/South east, as we both work in Ballsbridge area

(yes, I know - We're not asking for much!)

Inchicore & Ballyfermot would be closer for town and are on frequent bus routes - so that's a plus.

Tallaght (at least in a location close to the Luas) should be reasonably quick into town? But not a good choice if it means having to walk 30 mins just to get to the Luas stop.

A quick search on myhome.ie, with a price limit of 350,000 yeilds the following:

In Dublin South - results for mainly Tallaght and Inchicore (a few for Crumlin, and )

A similar search for the North of Dublin produces lots of Swords and beyond - some results for Cabra - which I hadn't considered before. (Wasn't there a feature about it in last wknd's Sunday Times as potentally trendy up and coming area?)

Obviously, a nice apartment in Ballsbridge was my first choice! Might look into Cabra and have a look at some other estate agents (web and physical) to see what else is out there.

ta for the input
Bluebug33

I commutted from Inchicore to Ballsbridge for a few years. I got into town in about 15 minutes on the bus (I started work early), and then walked out to the office. All in all about 45 mins commutte.

The number 10 bus which goes from the Phoenix Park over to Stillorgan via Baggot St, might be handy for you. You could check out it's route and look along it. It would go along NCR, Phibsboro etc.

Hi bluebug
I am a Ballyfermot Girl and would recommend it for you and your sis - i am totally bias however! it is a good little town now has everything you would need and is within walking distance from Liffey Valley and town (and believe me we have often walked home from town after a night out - obviously not on your own). houses are good solid houses and you could get one for about €330 and you would only need to slightly modernise to your own taste. The Luas is planned for 2010 and work is starting i believe next year on this to link up to the Tallaght line. Good luck with your hunt but you should drive around these areas at night to see if you would feel comfortable living there.

Lucan would be an ok bet for around €350K, you would get a 3 bedroom house in some estates now.

Hi, I am an Inchicore girl. I have lived here all my life and I love the place. I have a six year old son in school in Inchicore and there are 17 kids in his class. I am moving to Tallaght soon as I can't afford to buy in Inchicore but I am leaving my son in school and childminder in Inchicore as the research I have done into schools in Tallaght have not been as favourable as the school he is in now. I would love to stay here but I would have to sell a kidney and half my liver to buy on my own.

The location is great, the transport links, Luas and Bus, are excellent and the proximity to the N7, N4, N3 is a great plus for those weekends when you want to escape from the city.

There is an undesirable element in Inchicore but the same can be said of everywhere, we also have a large immigrant population which has given the area a very multi cultural feel. There are a lot of new appartments being built and lots of young professional people moving into the area and there is a definite buzz in the area.

There are two excellent Italian restaurants in the area and a number of pubs that suit a quiet night out or a more lively night out.

Inchicore is one of the best locations in the south city for commuting and living

hi - my money would be on inchicore as well. It is close to town and seems to be on the up (I live there so am biased..)
Also if you do a search for those areas on myhome.ie for houses 600k+ the majority of those which come up are for inchicore - followed by tallaght- none for ballyfermot..think that reflects there would be more potential for growth in price in that area then the others.. Also close to town, luas, lots of re-development etc.. I know we bought 5 years ago and house value has nearly tripled.. + we really enjoy living so close to town and the park..

I live in the Dutch village in Clondalkin. Its 8min walk from Red Cow Luas which my girfriend takes direct to IFSC. Takes her 40 mins door to door. The area is pretty quiet, against what people would have you believe. Hell I even forget to lock my car some nights. There are houses in the area for that price +. The village is good with some nice bars. I am from the country and expect to move there within next 5 years, but I will keep my house in Dutch village.

some of the houses built here were built in a traditional Dutch style, roof kinda coming half way down the front and back. The general area is known as Yellow Meadows though with the Dutch Village being at the upper end nearer to Luas.

Hi,
Your 350k would get you a very very nice 2 bed apt in Saggart (Citywest)just off NAAS road.Its a lovely area with plenty of exciting things happening and great potential for price hikes in near future.
It sounds a bit far out but the Luas will soon be on your doorstep (early 2008) if you bought in CARRIGMORE or one of the new 100+ units been built at present.Also new shopping centre been built at present (comp spring 2007) all this can be Viewed if you google citywestshoppingcentre. Commute time at present would mean you getting shuttle bus from citywest business park to Square for Luas into city centre.....but when Luas is extended it will be approx 2min walk to planned luas stop.

Have a look on line and let me know what you think.

I can vouch for Ballyfermot (Inchicore end). Bought a 3 bed ex-council there. I'm 3 miles from Christchurch. We were only looking for houses.
My preference would've been a house in Inchicore/Crumlin/Drimnagh but they were a tad more expensive! Having said that everything's going great in Ballyfermot and we're closer to Inchicore village than Ballyfermot!

Inchicore + closer to city, village nice enough, luas, regular buses - more expensive, problem areas

Ballyfermot + close to city, cheaper than Inchicore, regular buses - problem areas

Property prices have peeked so why not just rent in Ballsbridge?
For the €1'800 you would be paying on a 350K mortgage you could rent a very nice apartment. You will also have your transaction costs for the sale and the upkeep costs for your new house. You may well find that it is worth less than you paid for it in five years time.
Rent!

I lived in Inchicore for a while -

- it has great access to the City.
- you could also cycle to Ballsbridge - direct route - maybe 30 minute cycle
- you'll most likely get a good return on an investment there as it's 'coming out of the cold'!

Good luck

Back