Ballybrittas, Co.Laois

spud26

I am thinking of buying in a new development in Ballybrittas. The houses are beautiful, really well finished, and very spacious. Just wondering what the area is like, as I have lived in a town all my life, so it would be a big change to move to a village.
I am a single female, would there be people my own age to mix with? What would the rental market be like? I may need to rent out a room if I find the mortgage is tight. Would there be any demand at all for a double room in a nice new house?
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Hi, living in Ballybrittas since 2001, familiar with that development and know some people living there. Fab and very well constructed houses, seems to be great community spirit with individuals from so many different locations now settled there. Dont know if the rental market would be a hit as proximity to towns and facilities may be an issue. Best of luck with your decision!

Hi we looked there, think it would be hard to rent out as little far out for the town and buses don't pass often. Big issue is the hotel up the road is full of foreign people who have been put up there by the government.

We bought in Portlaoise. Some of the best estates are The Grange and Forestpark for well built houses and not to large amount of houses built for a good price. Far enough away from the town but still you can walk there in 20 minutes. We bought in Forestpark it is a nice quiet estate and have young neighbours both side of us. Peavoy or Hume are the local estate agents. We rented a room to a nurse for 6 months as we struggled at first.

New Schools being built next to Hermitage and across from Ashley Gardens in Portlaoise so we decided not to buy there.

Hi, living in Ballybrittas since 2001, familiar with that development and know some people living there. Fab and very well constructed houses, seems to be great community spirit with individuals from so many different locations now settled there. Dont know if the rental market would be a hit as proximity to towns and facilities may be an issue. Best of luck with your decision!

Yeah I have a friend living there and he thinks its great, the community spirit there is second to none. I presume you have a car and if thats the case your not to far away from Portlaoise, Monsterevin, Kildare and the cumute to Dublin isnt all that bad.

Joejoe

Thank you for those replies. I am going to view it again today, am very undecided, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
The commute isn't really an issue for me, as I work in Kildare. It's more the living in a village, on my own, when I have always lived in a big town surrounded by family and friends.
Thanks again

Thank you for those replies. I am going to view it again today, am very undecided, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
The commute isn't really an issue for me, as I work in Kildare. It's more the living in a village, on my own, when I have always lived in a big town surrounded by family and friends.
Thanks again

What is that attracts you to the Ballybrittas location, is it purely the quality of the house?

Joejoe

What is that attracts you to the Ballybrittas location, is it purely the quality of the house?

Joejoe

Yes, pretty much to be honest. Anything else that I've looked at is second hand and not a patch on the Ballybrittas development. The houses are very well finished and a good price, compared to buying in a town.
The gas heating in the houses is a big pull for me, as most other places I've seen have storage heating.

I don't mind the idea of starting somewhere new really, but I worry if I would be very isolated down there.

Would you consider renting in the area for a few months to see if it suits you. Its a big committment and you would need to be pretty sure you're making the right decision.

Would you consider renting in the area for a few months to see if it suits you. Its a big committment and you would need to be pretty sure you're making the right decision.

There is a limited supply of houses in that development and my friend has said that all the houses are nearly sold. Is that the case Spud26?

Joejoe

Yes, there are only a few left from the final phase of the development. I would need to make a decision about purchasing in the next couple of weeks at the very least.
Joe joe, has your friend found it easy to get to know people in the community?

Also, are you familiar at all with Portarlington or Monasterevin, as I am now looking at maybe buying there? My main reason for looking in both of these is that I would hopefully be able to rent out a room if I was in a town.

Thanks for all the replies, it's such a big decision to make and I want to make sure I do the right thing.

Hi,

I would agree with Spud. A town would be better especially if you want to rent out a room. Portarlington or Portlaoise would be my choice as Monstrevin has become a town with a road through it and you would really have to go kildare to do anything.

Portarlington has a new swimming pool, pubs, a shopping street and a small super market. Alot of commuters going into Dublin and good rental market. I think it is a nice town but not much to do. Also N7 motorway not that close.

Portlaoise is the bigger town with more companies employed there rental market is good and more facilities. Think about do you want a gym, cinema, bowling alley, 2 shopping centres in easy reach and also has had a new swimming pool built. My wifes sisters come down to Portlaoise to go to the cinema or to go bowling and one lives in Portarlington and the other is in Kildare Town.

Personally I would go and stay in a B&B for the weekend in a few of the towns before I comit and take a friend and go out to a couple of pubs and see where you feel most happiest.

Wish you all the best as looking for a house is difficult. My wife drove me crazy wanting a big kitchen utility room nice bathroom, ensuite, also wanted gas not oil or storage and not a house looking into the front room when she is watching tv.

Yes, there are only a few left from the final phase of the development. I would need to make a decision about purchasing in the next couple of weeks at the very least.
Joe joe, has your friend found it easy to get to know people in the community?

Also, are you familiar at all with Portarlington or Monasterevin, as I am now looking at maybe buying there? My main reason for looking in both of these is that I would hopefully be able to rent out a room if I was in a town.

Thanks for all the replies, it's such a big decision to make and I want to make sure I do the right thing.

He has found it great and the people there too, he is in his mid - late 20ies. I dont like Portarlington. Monasterevin is better. So to my mind there in lies your choice, I dont think you will find another match for the Ballybrittas development in Monasterevin but hey, you can but try.

Joejoe

Don't buy on the basis of the actual house being really nice. It's the location you need to be happy about also. Ballybrittas is very small, not even a village really in that there is no community hall or any activities actually in the village from what I know. I know someone who used to live in there who sold up as the village was too small and everyone seemed to commute out of that estate place during the day. Also it's a really busy road there running through Ballybrittas. Take your time and have a look around maybe Portlaoise or one of the other towns around or as someone suggest rent and see how you like an area first. You'd find it hard to rent a room in Ballybrittas when bigger towns can offer more to a renter.

thanks sadie. I think you are right about waiting for a bit. I think I just got very impatient over the last few weeks, once I got the idea into my head of having my own place, I just wanted it right now! No patience at all!!
But I'm going to keep looking, and visiting these towns and all of that, and if I get somewhere else that I like, then great, and if not, and Ballybrittas is still available then its meant to be, if that makes any sense!!

It's great to keep neutral advice though so thanks so much to everyone!

I have an apartment in Monasterevin and I have recently moved in with my boyfriend in Dublin :D However its a nighmare trying to rent it out, as much as i like monasterevin myself, people just dont seem to wanna live down there.. I'm having to pay the mortgage myself while i try get new tenants... Do you wanna move down for a while and try it out, i know a nice two bed apartment u could rent out ;)

Hi, I'm originally from B/brittas and recently moved back to live there after many years in Dublin. I have relations who are also originally from Laois also, but have lived in Dublin for the past 40+ years, who have moved back to live in Kilminchy, P/laoise. They are absolutely loving the friendliness of people in P/laoise and wish they had made their move far sooner. If I was you I'd either buy (if you already haven't) in B/brittas or P/laoise. I know Portarlington and Monasterevin quite well and wouldn't advise you to go there.

I use to do some showhouse work in the houses in Graigavern Lodge and agree they're fab houses. In the area of B/brittas there is a community centre, just outside the village and also a thatched bar (Fisherman's Inn)which is a huge hit with all new residents to B/brittas. You have to understand that B/brittas isn't just what you see on the road it's a lot bigger than people realise.

If you haven't bought anywhere yet and are still indecisive let me know and I'll tell you where is good to buy and not so good to buy in Laois.

The best of luck!

Jen

Hi Jen,

I am also considering buying a house in the Graigavern development so I am interested in the feedback you gave above.

At the moment I see they are working on the final phase of the development. There are some 3 bed semis still for sale and it is one of these I am after. Have you been in around these particular houses and if so what do you think of them? I was in one briefly myself on the open day last year and thought they were a great size compared to other 3 bed houses. In addition the build quality and finish seemed to be very good.
They are priced at €295,000 and from what I can see the price has not changed since they were released. Suppose it is possible the price will come down but if the development is as popular as it appears to be then the developer might have no problem selling them at this price! It's hard to know!

A car is necessary alright if you are living here but then again you are only a few minutes drive to amenities such as shopping, gym, cinema etc..

Anyway, appreciate and other feedback you have.

Hi there,

While I was doing the showhouse work in G/avern I found the development to be very well finished off (even with the final phase being built!). I have friends who bought houses in Portarlington and it’s a total disgrace at how little work has being done to the entrance and green of their development. All complaints seem to be ignored by the developer and with the market the way it is at the moment, they find it very frustrating as the state of the development is off-putting for potential buyers.

The developer of G/avern is also the developer of another new development in Portlaoise called Foxburrow (www.foxburrow.ie) which, like G/avern, is pretty high standard. If I was buying a house, what would matter to me most is obviously the quality of the house but also the location in which I would be buying. The 3 bed houses in G/avern are just as nice and well finished as the 4 beds. I especially liked the kitchen layout in the 3 beds. Have you viewed either of the showhouses yet? It’s nearly a year ago since I worked at that development so I’m not too sure what the set up is at the mo with the showhouses. If you contact Hume Auctioneers they should be able to let you know. You could also enquire if there are any 3 beds back on the market that are up for viewing. You’ll get more of an idea that way of what living space is like.

As for Ballybrittas itself, well personally I love the area for the simple reason I’m not living in a town or city. I find my lifestyle far more chilled and enjoyable. Portlaoise town is only a 15/20min trip away and Dublin is only 1hr if even that (depending on traffic!). So the way I see it, is that I’ve the best of both worlds.
I’ve read some of the previous mails on this thread and actually find it quite funny how people moan how there is only a shop and garage in B/brittas. In fairness, like anything, it’s what you make of it yourself. A good thing to find out before buying in G/avern is if there is a resident’s committee. Every new development should have an active committee and conduct regular meetings about the development itself and also to organise events to do i.e. table quizzes, walking club, kiddies halloween parties etc. etc. etc. I find since moving out of Dublin last year, I spend most of my time during the week walking up in the Heritage Hotel walking track in Killenard (a 2min drive from B/brittas) or going to Emo Court or Oakvale Woods in Stradbally which are also ideal for walking. I’m not a gym person but there are really great leisure centres in both P/laoise and Portarlington. If you’re interested in horse-riding there is also the equestrian centre in Stradbally where the Electric Picnic is held. It’s only about 20mins from B/brittas. In fairness, there are lots of activities to do so it all depends what you’re into. I’m gathering that some people expect everything to be on their doorstep and if that’s what they want well then G/avern isn’t for them. I guess it all depends on how motivated and driven you are.

The best thing for you to do is phone Hume Auctioneers (057 86 81111 / www.hume.ie) to query the house prices for the 3 beds. It’s no harm in seeing if the developer will reduce the price. I would definitely enquire about any current 3 beds being resold or even google daft and other property websites to see if people have put any up for sale. I know you probably want a new house but as I said it’ll give you a great idea of space and there’s no harm in having a look, even if you have no intention of buying a second hand.

Apologises for the long email! It’s just that I like that developer’s work and if I had the cash myself I would love to buy one of their properties.

If you’ve any more questions let me know and also if you contact the auctioneers let me know how you get on.

All the best,

Jen

The previous poster seems to be very familiar with the development however I think it is far too optimistic to hope to get to Dublin, even in light traffic, in about an hour. It's a long commute to Dublin, if that is what you are thinking.

The previous poster seems to be very familiar with the development however I think it is far too optimistic to hope to get to Dublin, even in light traffic, in about an hour. It's a long commute to Dublin, if that is what you are thinking.

That not right, I live in Portlaoise and make it up in an hour every day, 1:20 at worsted. Ballybrittas is 20minutes up the road from Portlaoise.

Joejoe

Back