Balbriggan

To be perfectly honest it is not great at present.They've built 1000's of houses over the past 10 years in and around the town with little or no infrastructure (remember the furore last year over no school for kids).
The locals are friendly enough though and house prices were always quite good there...

I have bee nliving in Balbriggan for 3 years now and i have no complaints. Although the schooling issue is of concern i will not have to worry about that for a few years yet.

To be honest it really depends on where you were living before. I lived on the northside all my life so moving 20 miles out of town was not and issue for me as accessibility is very good. (M1, Train, and Bus)

Can anyone tell me what Balbriggan is like to live in ?

As regards schools, the issue of places seem to be sorted. There will also be a new large second level school to be built and unlike most other plans, this school will be built. The town has good sports clubs, Soccer, GAA and Rugby( maybe O'Dwyers GAA should be a lot more competitive than it is)! It has quick access to the M1 and is probably better than Rush, Lusk or Skerries in that respect. Regular Bus Eireann coach service to Dublin and Drogheda as well as the train. There is a variable quality to some of the housing, look carefully. Areas like Mount Rochford look decent if a little isolated.

It has quick access to the M1 and is probably better than Rush, Lusk or Skerries in that respect.

True for all cases, possibly with the exception of Lusk, which is <=5mins from the M1, roughly the same as from Donabate.
Skerries and Rush are about 20 and 10 mins respectively to the M1, Skerries will have more traffic along the way.

Remember as well that the above times are to the M1 Lissenhall junction, which is about 9 miles south of the balbriggan junction according to google maps

To be honest, as a personal choice I'd pick any of the above 4 places ahead of Balbriggan; all four are pretty level pegging depending on your needs.

No matter where you live in Balbriggan access to the M1 is less then 5 mins. I would of thought Lusk is more then a 5 min drive to the M1. Either way you have to either use the Lissenhall slip road onto the M1 or travel the N1 into santry.

Lusk, which is <=5mins from the M1, roughly the same as from Donabate.

What type of helicopter do you use at rush hour. Traffic to the Lissenhall interchange on the M1 can be fairly savage in the mornings. Donabate does not have a direct bus service to Dublin apart from the 'workman' service which gets into town about 6.30 am!

But Donabate does have the train - 20 mins to Connolly.

...If you can get a seat on the train, that is. But before this develops into my place is better than your place, there is a feature that the OP may find useful in today's Irish Times on Balbriggan.

I would of thought Lusk is more then a 5 min drive to the M1.

northsideboy said:
What type of helicopter do you use at rush hour. Traffic to the Lissenhall interchange on the M1 can be fairly savage in the mornings.

I know what you mean.
its 5mins for me, from the edge of lusk, but I don't commute by car in rush hour. That said the traffic lights at lissenhall has made a huge diff from a few years ago when it was terrible.
Its 25 mins by train to Connolly. By a million miles the best way into town

I wouldnt recommend Balbriggan, however, I would recommend either Skerries, Lusk, Rush or Donabate. I've lived in this area all my life - lived in skerries for 15 years, then moved to balbriggan for 5 years, and now im back in skerries the last 10 years. To be honest, I'd live in the middle of knowhere in Bally-go-backwards before I'd ever go back to Balbriggan. Thats just my opinion, but I have a lot of friends down there who wouldnt live anywhere else.

Just to extend that idea, what opinions are there out there as regards choosing Dunshaughlin as a place to live in?

Just to extend that idea, what opinions are there out there as regards choosing Dunshaughlin as a place to live in?

Better off starting a thread on Dunshaughlin Doon as only people living/interested in Balbriggan will read this one...