Balance Transfers

Z

ZOLTAN28

Hi - have searched few threads and hhave found good info on which company to switch to and why - I can't seem the find the how.

Once I apply for a card with the new company - how do I then transfer my balance from my existing credit card? Do I need to let the existing company know or do the new company handle everything?

Thanks

Process might vary slightly, but generally:

1) Ring new credit card company when you have received your new credit card.

2) Tell them how much you want to transfer and give them the number of the old credit card.

In essence, that's it. If you've completed this information on the application form, it might be done for you when the card is set up.

Once the balance has been transferred, remember to cancel the old card. If you've paid the credit card levy to the old company, get a letter from them confirming this and give it to the new company. This way you won't pay it twice in the same year.

In general, when filling out an application for a new card, there should be a section on balance transfers.

THanks - sounds simple enough - I applied with Halifax as they seem to have a good deal and a low rate. There was a part on the app form to list other credit cards but not specifically for a balance transfer.