Balance Transfers on credit cards

shoppergal

Hi

Can anyone help me with this query.
Say you have a balance on a credit card at a normal rate and then do a 0% balance transfer. The payments that you make after the balance transfer, do they come off the original amount thus reducing the amount you owe at the normal rate or do they come off the newly transferred amount?

Last edited:
Generally with most card issuers, any payment made is usually allocated against the balance transfer amount. Check your terms and conditions, it will outline the payment routine.

It's 0% on the balance you transfer for 6 months is this what you're referring to?

Little confused by your question shoppergal. What do you mean by "the original amount" and what do you mean by "the newly transferred amount"? What do you mean by "reducing the amount you owe at the normal rate" too? The last sentence isn't clear.
Like Blackberry said, if you have transferred a balance to a new card, generally repayments are against that first so any new transactions you make with the new card will attract interest at the card rate and will not be repaid until the underlying balance is cleared (thereby building up a nice tot of interest for the card provider).

Sorry If I was a little unclear.

Hopefully this example is clearer.(Figures are for example only)

I have 1000 on my MBNA card at 14.9%

I then do a balance transfer of 500 at 0%.

So I now have 1500 of a balance.

My question was if I made a payment of say 300 would that reduce my original amount to 700(i.e reducing the amount owed at the higher rate)

or

would it reduce the transfered balance to 200(i.e reducing the amount owed at 0%)

In any case, my question has been answered by reviewing T & C's. Payments are applied to payments at the lower rate so it will be applied to the amount on the 0% interest.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers, that makes much more sense now. As you found, they tend to load the deck in their own favour