baggage allowance traveling from usa to london but then want to take ryanair to irl

coleen

Hi My sister who will be traveling with husband and baby from usa to london and on wards to Ireland after a few days for the christmas holidays .She will have good baggage allowance with ba but then want to come to ireland with ryan air from stanstead as it is the closest airport to where they stay in london. The baggage allowance will be much less for the long haul flight that the ryan air flight , is there any way of getting her luggage to Ireland without incurring charges? She will have some santa and gifts also. If she came to heathrow would it be any better with aer lingus?. She wants to arrive to either cork shannon or Kerry all advice welcome. Can she forward her luggage by any other method?

I flew from stansted with ryanair recently - check in staff were very strict about weight of checked in bags and my carry on bag was weighed as I went through security - it was 12kg and the limit is 10kg - I ended up putting on clothes from the bag to get it down to 10kg. Sorry not very helpful but at least u can tell your sister not to take a chance with stansted.

She could book a through fare with BA with a stopover in london (you can do this on their website) which may mean she can keep the same baggage allowance - certainly when you travel from the US to Dublin via London there is no problem with having bags heavier than normally allowed on Aer Lingus. I'm not sure though how they treat the baggage when you have a stopover and have to recheck luggage a few days later - you will be dealing with AL check-in staff at that stage.

Can she leave some bags in London, there may be a baggage hold room there? Also she could buy the presents over the web and get them delivered to Ireland so she doesn't have to carry them. I don't know of any way of not paying with Ryanair and I use them a lot. Another idea is not to bring so many clothes and borrow from you. Purchase all toiletries in Ireland etc.

Baggage allowance with Ryanair is 15 kg - put your heavy things into a carry on bag, both adults will be allowed to carry one each so long as it fits the required dimensions i.e. small suitcase (weekend size or holdall)

Baggage storage in England at the airport could be quite expensive really. I can't remember the exact amount but I have used the [broken link removed] company in rail stations in London (the same one is in Heathrow) and it wasn't cheap in pounds which makes it worse when you have to deal with a conversion from the dollar (which I assume she is doing). The bags had to be scanned prior to storage. I was just looking at the BAA website - they run Stansted, Heathrow and Gatwick and I can find nothing on their map to indicate baggage storage other than lost baggage but the link above should provide her with the contact details if she wants to give them a call. Can she possibly do a stopover in London on the way back instead? Booking through to Ireland with BA/Aer Lingus would mean that she gets the baggage allowance on the way over no hassle and she will probably have a bit lighter a load going back (unless you are buying her something heavy!!).

Back