Bag Packers and Ticket Sellers in Supermarkets

NHG

Just wondering is it just me or is everyone else also fed up with going into the local/large supermarket and having bag packers at the end of every checkout with the "big charity bucket" or having ticket sellers right inside the door where it is very akward & embarassing to pass by and not buy a ticket.

Our local supermarket always seems to have someone at the end of the checkout either children who just dump everything into the bag or adults who are busy having a conversation with friends in the queue 2 or 3 aisles across as they pack your bag or locals sitting inside the door where you nearly have sqeeze past them due to lack of space selling tickets. I much prefer to pack my own groceries, but I still feel obliged to contribute to the "bucket".

Its hard enough to have to pay for the groceries and all the household day to day bills without all these extra's.

I don't mind. They are usually for local causes and it's no big deal to drop a couple of euros into their buckets. I see people passing them by as well, and never a sign of ill will from the bag packers.

I wouldn't mind if the packers had remotest notion of how to actually pack the items but they often don't.

Scouts and guides and the like are usually diligent and practical enough but generally not so the local junior football team for example.

Ticket sellers I usually ignore completely. I used to feel awkward about things like that but not anymore.

I wouldn't mind if the packers had remotest notion of how to actually pack the items but they often don't...
God be with the days when bag-packing used to be a semi-skilled job!

As a school-boy I worked Saturdays in H. Williams supermarket in Upper Baggot Street packing bags at the checkout, restocking shelves and carrying groceries out to cars.

I was actually taught how to pack, separating food and non-food items, heavy items at the bottom, vulnerable / fragile at the top, cooked food and uncooked meats in different bags, etc.

Packing was a promotion from shelf-stacking and there was always the possibility of a small gratuity from the local bank-manager's or doctor's wife for carrying out her groceries. (Not a sexist remark - men didn't do shopping those days and women generally didn't have those jobs)

The reward was a crispy orange 10/- note for a shift that went from 8 am to 6 pm. Ah, the good old days.

H. Williams! You must be very old, mathepac.

It's not only youngsters trying to fundraise who don't know how to pack bags. Regular supermarket staff can also be pretty poor at it. I prefer to pack my own purchases.

On one occasion I explained to a lad of about 14 at a checkout how I packed things. It was all new to him and, to do him justice, he seemed interested and keen to learn. So why did those who sent him there to fundraise, or the supermarket that allowed him a station, not bother?

That's my grumpy old man bit for today.

They are around occasionally at our local Tesco's but not as often as they used to be.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that they can make you feel awkward if you have no money to put into the bucket after they pack your goods. Not everyone has an extra couple of Euro to throw them.

But I am sure that they don't get money from every single person that goes through, so try not to be too embarrassed if you have nothing to give them.

I tend not to carry a lot of cash these days, and usually would pay for my groceries with a Laser card. So perhaps you could start doing this and say sorry you have no change (although admittedly most of us would have a few coins in our pockets anyway).

I always try to throw the kids a few bob packing the bags. Even if they are brutal at packing the bags, which they can be. Usually, it is for something local, scouts, youth club band or whatever. I would rather see them do that than be out drinking/stealing cars, hanging around shops.

Ticket Sellers, no, I think that is a bit much.

H. Williams! You must be very old, mathepac...That's my grumpy old man bit for today.
Given that you know about the supermarket company and your last sentence, there can't be much between us (or did your grand-dad tell you about them?)

My excuse is that I was exploited as a child labourer.

Given that you know about the supermarket company and your last sentence, there can't be much between us (or did your grand-dad tell you about them?)

We need a grumpy old men (and women) section in AAM.

Or maybe most of the board is that already.

I have noticed that bag packers are there most weeks alright. I never let them pack my bags but do throw something in the bucket.

I can't seem to remember seeing bag-packers or ticket-sellers in LIDL, ALDI or Tesco. They seem to congregate in SuperValu, Gala, Dunnes and independents.

At least they're offering to do a job for a donation. You don't have to give anything if you don't want to.

I like when bag packers are there, saves me a job and it helps them out with their fundraising . win win in my eyes

I can't seem to remember seeing bag-packers or ticket-sellers in LIDL, ALDI or Tesco. They seem to congregate in SuperValu, Gala, Dunnes and independents.

They seem to permanently collecting/ bag packing in our local Tesco.

there where deaf people in my Tescos last week, its like they have the money carefuly counted and stacked so they know exactly what you put in , its like they check it as you put it in , what can you say to them , you cant say im ok i dont want my bag packed.

those folks are not scouts or looking for a trip to adventure. I have to say i would never pass a charity which i feel is being hard done by, by a government which does not gather enough taxes to take care of them properly. Those with disabilities in this country are often unseen and unheard of so if their charities are raising money so they can have a voice or get some additional care then so what if my bags are packed poorly.

Would you not say, "here this is the way i like the bag packed..." and teach them how to do it (what every Mammy knew a generation ago and passed on but seems now to be lost). I have seen no shame in doing it, and have done it in the past.

I find boys are better than girls at packing groceries too - just an observation, they seem to take it seriously.

I'm not so fussy about how my bags are packed so quite like having someone to do it (currently it's Mr Bubbly and he's brutal with those jars and bottles! )

I never buy tickets or whatever from the people at the door, they can be a bit pushy sometimes.