Bag packers and 'charities'.

liaconn

I was up in my local Tesco yesterday with my mother. There was a gang of young fellows packing bags with collection boxes in front of them. They were all wearing yellow t-shirts and looked like they were collecting for an organised charity. However, as my mother was putting some money in the box she just happened to ask them what they were collecting for. Expecting to hear 'the homeless', 'Concern', 'the Wheelchair Association' or some such, she was astounded to be told it was for a trip to Amsterdam for the boy scouts. I've seen this kind of thing before in Tesco, either there's no indication on the box of what the charity is, or just a scrappy little notice in magic marker that you have to squint at to read. I really think there should be large signs at the checkout regarding what the collection is for. My mother certainly wouldn't have contributed if she'd known in advance it was for something like that. There's far better causes she'd like to give her money to. I also think there should be several 'packer free' checkouts for people who'd prefer to pack there own bags but feel embarassed to say 'no' to these eager young people. Anyone else agree?

Agree? Sure! Arguably some charities are probably more deserving than others. 'packer free' checkouts - sure!
And nothing worse than a bad packer (typical profile - teenage male, who last went to supermarket when he was five years old and doesn't know that heavy things go at the bottom of the bag )

You got it in one! Went to the supermarket last year. The local football team were packing the bags to raise money for a trip abroad. When I saw the woman in front of me have eggs smashed as the idiot put eggs in first then a bag of potatoes I said I'd pack myself! (To be fair to the supermarket they replaced the eggs but the young footballer and his pals at the other checkouts thought the whole thing very funny. They were giggling as they were packing and seemed to think the whole thing a lark. Not sure how long they lasted though as I saw a manager summons their coach into his office as I was leaving)

Had the same problem a few month ago at Dunnes when the egg noodles were at the bottom of the bag and carton of milk was put on top of them.

Can understand and support a lot of these charities that are collecting but there are other organisations who have other avenues of collecting moneys who seem to be constantly in the "bagging industry" e.g. GAA

Finally when you get to these tills, you are not really given a choice of whether you really want to give to this charities/organisations but are socially embarassed if you do not support them. There are some (not many) that I do not feel I would like to support.

I don't have any qualms about refusing bagging help, if it's a worthwhile charity I'd still pop a few bob in the bucket. I just don't like getting my shopping home and finding things damaged. I also pack in a particular way to make unpacking easier.

Supermarkets train their staff to pack bags so I can't really understand why they allow untrained people to do it. That said, I love it when Tesco staff offer to help bag a big shop, I know they'll do it properly.

More than charity bag packers, I hate getting accosted on my way in and out of the supermarket by charity collectors.

collecting for an organised charity. .... astounded to be told it was for a trip to Amsterdam for the boy [sic] scouts....wouldn't have contributed if she'd known in advance it was for something like that

Scouting Ireland is a registered charity (Charity Number CHY3507); camping is a key part of the Scouting Method and many groups would travel abroad as part of their annual camp.

Fund raising is often undertaken to cover some of the cost of a camp, particularly to facilitate children from families who might not otherwise be able to participate.

Scouting Ireland is open to both boys and girls.

Even if your mother doesn't quite see it - she was supporting a very worthwhile organisation.

Ehh when you see someone there ready to pack your bags, why not just have a chat with them? Generally what I do is approach them and ask them what they are collecting for and I pack the bags with them. I have to say I have generally found them careful but if I saw one of them bashing the eggs or squashing the bread I would point it out and offer some 'bag packing advice'. Usually ends up in a friendly chat and a laugh....If its kids collecting for a football team or a club or whatever I don't see the problem. I can choose whether or not I give them a donation..... In general though if they are bothered to turn up to work to collect their money, I think fair play to them.

If you don't want to give them money or have them pack your bags then just say so. If you have a problem with this generally then complain to the store manager.

Surely it's better to see these youngsters "earning" some of the funding needed for a trip/equipment etc., rather than just expect it to be there. They will appreciate it much more when they have had to do something to contribute to it.

It's generally not a problem if you don't want them to do it for you....just politely say you would rather do it yourself.

I love the novelty of having my bags packed as it's so rarely offered in shop these days + the chat with some local kids and what they are up to. Well worth a €1 or 2

You got it in one! Went to the supermarket last year. The local football team were packing the bags to raise money for a trip abroad.

SNAP !
I had the same experience in Superquinn some years ago. I'd happily chuck them a euro or two for them to not pack my bag.

Surely it's better to see these youngsters "earning" some of the funding needed for a trip/equipment etc., rather than just expect it to be there. They will appreciate it much more when they have had to do something to contribute to it.

Totally agree with you sam h.

Maybe if the scouts had worn their uniform it would have looked better.

I also think there should be several 'packer free' checkouts for people who'd prefer to pack there own bags but feel embarassed to say 'no' to these eager young people.

Finally when you get to these tills, you are not really given a choice of whether you really want to give to this charities/organisations but are socially embarassed if you do not support them.

Socially embarreassed?
Just say no, the kids don't mind. Or just have a chat with them, they're usually good for a laugh.

I don't own a car so I pack my stuff in a sportsbag so I just pack it myself. Maybe it's different if you've lots of plastic bags but noone touches my sportsbag but me.

Socially embarreassed?
Just say no, the kids don't mind. Or just have a chat with them, they're usually good for a laugh.
I agree. There must be some very sensitive poor souls out there that they get "socially embarrassed" at saying no in such circumstances!

Yes, no problem with that. What I don't like is the fact that they don't make it clear that they're doing a bob-a-job type thing for themselves, but allow a lot of customers to assume they're collecting for charity. They need to make it really clear. A friend of mine, whose teenagedaughter was involved in bagpacking to raise funds for herself and her fellow guides to go to Switzerland, admitted that they advised the kids not to say out straight what it was for as it would sound bad!

A friend of mine, whose teenagedaughter was involved in bagpacking to raise funds for herself and her fellow guides to go to Switzerland, admitted that they advised the kids not to say out straight what it was for as it would sound bad!

enterprising girl - she will go far!

I also find the bag packers a little annoying and avoid Dunnes because of it. But it is surprising the amount of collectors I come across ever day. So many people and groups seem to be in need and this just the end of a boom.

Maybe if the scouts had worn their uniform it would have looked better.
They certainly should have been in uniform - am shocked that any scout leader allowed them to participate out of uniform.

...they advised the kids not to say out straight what it was for ..
From our perspective, we raise funds for the group - what the money is finally spent on depends on what the priorities are at the time.

We wouldn't be funding trips abroad if the roof was coming off the den, for example; so, to my mind, it's not a good idea to be definitive about what a specific fundraiser might be supporting. Or Leaders might choose to provide a substantial subsidy to an individual scout or scouts in the Group who have other disadvantages and need more support. Scouts themselves (not surprisingly) wouldn't be aware of these sorts of decisions that have to be made.

I believe it's sufficient to say that the local Scout Group is fundraising to support Scouting activities.

Many Scout groups also fundraise for other charities as well as their own.